Impress Potential Clients

I'm in the same boat. I own a home style studio at a commercial location. I had a band come in that paid $400 for a single at House of Loud Studios (some overbooked engineer there), then came to me and I did a single for almost nothing. The difference was night and day and they were so stoked on how it came out yet they still wanted to record at House of Loud. I literally can't get local clients, even if I tell them I'll work for free. That being said, I've done work for bands in Italy, France, Canada, Texas etc. Local guys are not impressed by my studio and I'm not part of the "scene politics" so it makes it difficult. I've been dead for about 2 months and it's so damn frustrating

Sounds exactly like me. Although I am in a band, and I do go to some local shows and am friends with a bunch of bands, they usually still go to the "real" local studio that turns out garbage because they record AND mix in a certain amount of hours that the band can afford (i.e. not many).

If you're in a decent market you should be able to rent a commercial studio for reasonable money. I have a couple of spaces I work out of in addition to working from home. I lay out the options for my client, "it's if we go here, if you can only do we can still make a great record at my place."
Also, I think a lot of guys think if they turn out good work they can have an unmade bed in their "studio" and it's cool. It isn't. No one wants to see that shit. Just b/c you work from home doesn't mean you can get away with a space the looks unprofessional unless the band are buddies.

Hey dude, that "bed" is my giant bass trap.

There are a few things I learned a long time ago....nobody cares what us music nerds think. They want to see name brand gear that is assumed the best ala Neumann. For this reason, I've tried stocking up on only what I a:love and b:is recognized. The excuse of buying cheap because you can't afford it is absurd. I worked 3 jobs to pay cash over the course of a few years for everything. Successful business is as simple as growing slowly, debt free, patience, and seeing everything through the client's eyes instead of your own. At least this way, if you fail, you owe nothing cept a broken heart instead of the bank.

There are a few things I learned a long time ago....nobody cares what us music nerds think. They want to see name brand gear that is assumed the best ala Neumann.

This is kind of the way I'm thinking nowadays. I've got a collection of gear that gets the job done, but is rather unimpressive to clients - especially since I do pretty much everything ITB (nobody cares about plugins).

I absolutely loathe the gear-centric nature of this business, but it's something that is so ingrained into this field, you just have to DEAL WITH IT.

I've been busting ass for years to dump more money into this expensive ass hobby and it is extremely hard to drop even a few hundred bucks on gear nowadays. A lot of the things like rack gear are pretty much unnecessary to my workflow, but if it will improve my chances of snagging work - then it is worth it.

Here I am thinking of sanding off all brand names and just listing all gear as custom jobs from some guy that builds hand made boutique units. haha.

Now that we see that highly regarded gear makes a difference in client perception - what are the pieces that seem to make the MOST difference?

Honestly, I think it's pretty important to take the time to talk about gear and stuff with the client if you feel he wants to know more about how you work. And this before he starts asking questions about it. You could simply explain that the gear is only a way to reach a goal, not the goal itself.
An example I take everytime in this case is that a beginner could have the best guitar and the most expensive amp of the business in his hands but if he doesn't know how to play, it will sound like shit. In the other hand, Steve Vai can make a $250 guitar sound amazing!

But apart from gear stuff, the place you work is very important. It has to be pleasant, relaxing yet perfect for creativity. At least that's the way I see my place.