Impulse Loader Shootout

Jan 10, 2005
Hey guys, found this on the MKIII forum at Peavey. Pretty interesting to check out. For those of you who are curious what the differences are between several of the impulse loaders out there, this is a great test IMO.

Matt Steele @ Peavey's MKIII forum said:
I put together a test of 5 convolution processors to see if there was a difference in sound from one to another. I recorded a few simple chords and repeated them each with different convolution software for the speaker simulation all using the same impulse.

The first convolution processor used is the RIR module within ReValver. The next is Voxengo's Boogex with all the amp settings set to zero and the EQ flattened out as much as possible. The next is Sir2 (which is making the beeps in the entire recording). Next is Voxengo's Pristine Space. Last is keFIR.

Here is the clip.

I think they all sound similar but it was interesting to hear the slight and sometimes not so slight differences between them.

I've decided after some extensive testing that Sir2 sounds and feels the most realistic. There's a softness using Sir2 that is not present while using any other processor. I also tested a few others but these were the best I tested..

Now I know what Shane meant in our conversations when he was on the fence about supporting RIR with Recabinet!

Looks like I need to get SIR2...

~006

All info and the clip were taken from here and I hosted the mp3 on my FTP just in case.

How would I use two impulses with SIR2? In MKIII I can use the Signal Splitter module and run two RIR modules in it with two different impulses, then it gets summed and goes into the GR8 eq and I use a Sonalksis DQ1 for multi-band comp on the lows (a la Sneap C4). In Cubase Studio 4, if that helps. $189 is not bad for SIR2, IMO, but if I can't load two impulses I need to find out how to run two at the same time, otherwise it's useless to me because I'm not disappointed by the tones from MKIII/RIR to be honest...

~006

Gheeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. But I guess that'll work. I suppose I can load SIR2 into MKIII like I do with the Sonalksis plug, and maybe even into the signal splitter?!?!? I gotta check this out when I get home! Maybe it can work out JUST like it does for the RIR but with SIR2. Let's just hope this doesn't take up 90% of the resources! Cross your fingers for me.

~006

Of all the loaders I've tested for Recabinet, I found SIR 2 to have the best sound as well. The new IR loader in Digital Performer 6 is also surprisingly good.