Impulse Music is moving!

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
Just a FYI to all those Chicagoland area peeps. I heard yesterday afternoon while shopping at Impulse Music in Roselle that they are moving in a couple weeks. I guess they are moving to Colorado. Thought I'd let you know.

-Ray

heard about it last week. Great store. I used to live like 15 minutes from it before I even knew it was there. I found out about it a week before I moved to the city. I live like 5 minutes driving to Metal haven so I still have a great store close by.

I spoke to Steve about it. They are moving to Colorado for "personal" reasons, hoping the store will survive. I would not be surprised if they took their inventory and sold it all on e-bay and never open the store.

I spoke to Steve about it. They are moving to Colorado for "personal" reasons, hoping the store will survive. I would not be surprised if they took their inventory and sold it all on e-bay and never open the store.

Good riddance if they close. They still owe 55$ to one of my buddies for never sending a package, never offering to pay it back but making sure they charge the credit card.

They actually make one of my top 5 list as worst online vendor!!!! :puke:

Steve

Good riddance if they close. They still owe 55$ to one of my buddies for never sending a package, never offering to pay it back but making sure they charge the credit card.

They actually make one of my top 5 list as worst online vendor!!!! :puke:

Steve

So they never affected you but you have to badmouth them? I have a idea, why don't you open your own business and see if mistakes can be made. I love how people can throw out things like this that can so not be true. You do realize that a package has been lost in the mail right? That has happened between when the pony express first started? Sorry, I've been in retail over 25 years and your little blurp makes me believe you at a big fat 0.:puke::puke::puke: on you.

So they never affected you but you have to badmouth them? I have a idea, why don't you open your own business and see if mistakes can be made. I love how people can throw out things like this that can so not be true. You do realize that a package has been lost in the mail right? That has happened between when the pony express first started? Sorry, I've been in retail over 25 years and your little blurp makes me believe you at a big fat 0.:puke::puke::puke: on you.

Dude, you don't know me but a lot do here and I never badmouth anyone except for a very rare occasion with a real reason. My buddy who's the most honest person on earth asked me to help him since he doesn't speak english. He'd been trying to communicate with them thru e-mail but NEVER got any replies. So, I'm the one who called them numerous times with no replies or some "we'll call you and tell you if we can trace the package" and never got any call backs as I had given them my personnal cell phone number. I also got numerous times the classic: "I'm just an employee and the boss is not here". Then I ask when he'll be there and I call at the said hour the next day but surprise... He's not there!!! Actually, from what I could gather, he was filtering the calls...

Never even one e-mail reply and this over a 6 months period. We finally let go of the matter but I made myself a promise of telling the tale whenever I got the occasion.

I've had similar problems with Laser's Edge in the past as did my buddy but Ken has always taken very good care of his customers and this is why I shop there exclusively my stuff. Impulse Music is a bad online vendor, period.

If you've been in retail for 25 years, you should know that taking care of your customers is one of the first reason why you'll have a success story or close shop eventually because you run a bad business.

You can ask me other questions if you want!! :loco:

Steve

great....now this thread has turned into a slamming thread.....seriously...this was a thread about a great store moving.

I hate when a store closes down or moves for that matter. In the city here...on Broadway about a decade ago...it would take you about a good part of your day to hit all the record stores and stuff. It seemed like there was one on each block. It was great. You were always able to find cool stuff. Now it is literally just 1 store (Reckless Records). This is slowly becoming to end of the store era for music. I am sure it is for most areas though.

Like I mentioned on the P-Fest forum, I'd have liked to see the store in Schaumburg, which I think is easier to get to, and definitely sees more traffic than Roselle.

It's too bad that they plan on moving. There are very few cd stores in the NW suburbs now, aside from big chains.

Like I mentioned on the P-Fest forum, I'd have liked to see the store in Schaumburg, which I think is easier to get to, and definitely sees more traffic than Roselle.

It's too bad that they plan on moving. There are very few cd stores in the NW suburbs now, aside from big chains.

problem is that Schaumburg is very expensive. I agree...a store would see lots more traffic that way. From what I heard..it wasnt about money. he just wants to be away from the city and congestion....I guess he likes space and the outdoors more.

I've used Impulse Music numerous times, and never had a problem.

I wouldnt recommend ordering from the site itself. I recommend calling making sure the product is IN STOCK then place the order.

It is/was a good store.
I don't go there as often as I used to, but that's obviously the case for most people in this day and age which is the reason for the move.

Unless you are in an area that will receive foot traffic from being centrally located to other hot spots, I wouldn't even bother with a store front.

Driving to Metal Haven for example usually goes along with going to a show, baseball game, restaurant, etc, etc.

Impulse is more of a sole destination journey, which isn't that desireable in 2009 where anything they have can be purchased with a button click.

I am surprised no one has opened a record store in the shopping center where the Pearl Room is.

I try to make it to impulse any time that I have the time and the money. The store is about an hour away from me, so I try to dedicate a Saturday to go out there when I can. I am sad to see it go. I have never ordered anything online from them, but anytime I went there, they always had what I was looking for. You will be missed.

I am surprised no one has opened a record store in the shopping center where the Pearl Room is.

That would be a great idea...IF* the Pearl Room had some decent shows lined up. I haven't been there since last September because there has been crap for shows lately.
Mokena is FAR for most people. Now that the 355 extention is complete, it doesn't take as long, but I can't imagine taking a leisurely Sunday drive all the hell out there for a CD.
But anyway....if the PR could get shows scheduled like they had last year, it would be a great investment for anyone wanting to open a record store in that strip mall.

Selfishly, this is a sad day hearing the news that Impulse is leaving us here in Chicago. I am personally happy for Steve though, as I know this has been in the works for quite some time. The reality of it is that the days of walking into a Mom and Pop album/cd store are dwindling...it's a sign of the times with the economy, downloading, etc. I for one will deeply miss stopping in and having a chat with Steve or Sean about anything and everything and walking out with a haul of CD's to keep me/us busy for weeks.

Does anybody know what the transition date is? When will the doors close in Roselle and what kind of down-time are we looking at until things are up in running in Colorado?

Best of luck to you and yours...and Go Vikes!!!

Kitten's got claws...

That's too bad. It was a nice little pilgrimage for me when I would drive to my brother's place. I used to grab at least 3-4 cds every time I stopped by. Hopefully their new digs will work for them.