Impulses and dialing your amp.

migreeni

Dismember
Nov 27, 2005
Finland
www.malummeh.com
Howdy! How do you dial your amp when using impulses? Can't tell if it's good or not before the impulse kicks in because (as we all know) the preamp fizz always sounds like shit.

Do you use a cab or what?

yeah i monitor through a cab, and you should be too. using an amp without a cab (or hotplate) is bad for it

Why can't you put the impulse(boogex or whatever u use) on the input and monitor it through your monitors.....of course you still need the cab plugged in ....so you dont mess the amp up. but this can be done right?

Why can't you put the impulse(boogex or whatever u use) on the input and monitor it through your monitors.....of course you still need the cab plugged in ....so you dont mess the amp up. but this can be done right?

That's how I do it. Through a hotplate and directly into the soundcard. I then insert the impulses on the input bus and record it that way.

sorry for the thread resurrection, but i'm still not quite sure about this...

so, how would i have to set it up in cubase sx3 so i can dial my amp/pod/whatever i'm using to get the preamp signal while hearing the signal coming through the impulse, without having to record-listen-tweak-rerecord-compare-etc ?
tweaking the amp while hearing it through the cab and then impulsing the preamp signal afterwards isn't really an option imho, as it obviously sounds different in the room through the cab as it does through the impulse of another cab/poweramp.

also, you said that you insert the impulse on the input bus, wouldn't that mean that you're recording the already impulsed sound, with no possibility to change the impulse afterwards?

Nah dude, put Boogex (my impulse plugin of choice) as an insert on the track your recording to as you normally would, record-enable it, and then on the track click that little button that looks like a speaker next to the record enable button to activate input monitoring :) (should turn brown when activated)

already did that, but for some reason i still couldn't hear the impulsed sound, just the preamp fizz?

Even with your impulse plugin inserted on the track and the impulse loaded into it? How peculiar...