In Absentia

IanDork107

I wrote a book! Buy it!
Sep 9, 2002
Not here.
The new Porcupine Tree album came into my posession this evening, and I must say, it's fucking great. All at the same time, its their most psychedelic, heaviest and most progressive work. It's great, and it grows on me with every listen, as all PT releases tend to. My means for getting the album were a bit unethical, but I'll most certainly be buying a real copy when it comes out...:)

It's great, probably my favorite of thiers, I guess I just need to see if it withstands the test of time, which I'm sure it will. It's got more symphonic moments, and a few very mellow and psychedelic tunes, but also has their heaviest song ever. Although I love every track, my personal favorites so far are Lips Of Ashes and The Sound of Muzak, tracks three and four. Lightbulb Sun and Signify are great as well, but I think as a whole this one is very likely the best, possibly tied with Stupid Dream, but quite different. It's definitely the best release of the year, followed closely by the new Arcturus, but soon to be beaten by Opeth, as thats inevitable.

The whole album is fantastic. There are heavy moments, as was mentioned, Blackest Eyes and Wedding Nails being the heaviest, but there are some of the calmest moments as well, such as Lips of Ashes and Collapse The Light Into the Earth. Overall its awesome.

No-Man is quite good, I have a few albums from them, but Porcupine Tree somehow is very mellow but doesnt sound like easy listening, while No-Man is very adult contemporary. I've found that I can't listen to No-Man as much as I can PT.

Alright, got my real copy of In Absentia today. Quite fabulous. The packaging is very nice, and the video for strip the soul is very cool as well. By far the best album so far this year, in my opinion.