Porcupine Tree

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, following the recomendations of Mikael Akerfeldt, I give a try to porcupine tree and I bought Lightbulb Sun. At first, I thought I was a little bit too "commercial" for my own taste but after paying more attention to the music and lyrics, the album grows on me so fast that I'm thinking of buying their previous albums...

I'm still listening to it and I expect this group to count among my favorites in the days to come.

What's your opinion about them?

Porcupine Tree are very very good. The two latest albums do seem commercial at first. But upon more listens, you discover a lot more. A simply amazing band. And keep your eyes out for the Recordings album, which is also amazing...

I actually like the later style better than the earlier style..

well i tried to buy the album after hearing 4 chords that made a million, but they only had the anniversary box set thing and that b-sides thingy, so i couldnt be bothered.

i dont suppose you've heard Radiohead - Ok Computer have you changso? i bet you'll like them, great lyrics too.

well i love lightbulb sun and stupid dream. i like a few songs of recordings as well. i dont like their earlier stuff as much because its a bit to "trippy" for me. but i LOVE lightbulb sun and stupid dream alot.

i'm a big porcupine tree's fan, and i'm searching for rarities on audiogalaxy in these days, simply because it's the only way for me to get the songs!!!!

i've got these pt's albums:

recordings
lightbulb sun
stupid dream
metanoia
signify
voyage 34 - the complete trip

i also got "iem have come for your children", by Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, the Bass Communion cd, and the latest album by no-man, called "returning jesus"

let's say that everything steveN wilson does is great, but porcupine tree plays such a beautiful music that seems to come from another planet...

i don't know very much about the 1st period of the band... maybe later... of course later!!!!!!

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
the b-sides thingy, Recordings, is an amazing album in itself, their b-sides are fantastic, and the album actually flows really well, and reminds me a bit of signify. You shoulda bought it _transparent_

well its limited, or so it says, but i still think its gonna be there when i go again, if its as good as you say then by the HMV rules (the rule being - good albums never get sold) then i'll see it when i go back to HMV, maybe they'll be dust on it too.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
well i tried to buy the album after hearing 4 chords that made a million, but they only had the anniversary box set thing and that b-sides thingy, so i couldnt be bothered.

i dont suppose you've heard Radiohead - Ok Computer have you changso? i bet you'll like them, great lyrics too.

I haven't heard much Porcupine Tree, but what I have heard does remind me a bit of Radiohead. OK Computer is a fantastic album, and is definitely worth getting, as are their other albums.

Porcupine Tree are GODS!!! All their stuff is fucking great!
Not like Radiohead to me.... (even though RHead r good in their own way)

Originally posted by random_phil
The sound isn't that similar, it's the attitude and atmosphere of the music, if you see what I mean.

yeah i know exactly what you mean, thats why i also see Katatonia as a Radiohead of metal, although Katatonia arent that 'metal' but still.