Porcupine Tree...

HaloX

scooter's Roofin'
Mar 17, 2003
Chicago Area
Visit site
I'm just curious to know what those of you who have heard Porcupine Tree would say about the band. Also, if I was to buy a single CD from them, which CD should I buy to receive a good taste of Porpupine Tree? I just figured you Opeth fans could help me out. Thanks.

HaloX said:
I'm just curious to know what those of you who have heard Porcupine Tree would say about the band.
Stunning. Intoxicating. Mesmerizing.

Seriously, I have Opeth to thank for introducing me to Porcupine Tree, and I am grateful. They are an amazing band. One of the things that drew me in the most is their exquisite use of vocal harmonies. They just melt together with the melodies and take me to other places when I close my eyes...

Steven Wilson is such an amazing songwriter.

HaloX said:
Also, if I was to buy a single CD from them, which CD should I buy to receive a good taste of Porpupine Tree? I just figured you Opeth fans could help me out. Thanks.
Well, I started with the album "Signify". I've since bought them all, but "In Absentia" would probably give you the best first impression, being an Opeth fan. Both Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson have admitted that they've been a great influence on each other, and so I think Opeth fans might find a lot more to enjoy in "In Absentia". But their other albums are amazing as well. My other suggestions would be the "Stars Die" compilation, "Signify", and "Stupid Dream". (The "Stars Die" compilation is a good introduction for someone new to the band, and covers the early stages of Porcupine Tree's development quite well.)

I have PT to thank for getting me into Opeth, partly. Because SW collaborated with Mikael, I decided to check out what the music was about... and I liked it.

Anyway, with Porcupine Tree I recommend the following order of purchase:

1. In Absentia
2. Stupid Dream
3. Signify
4. Lightbulb Sun

From there, get anything else in any order. :)

get the newest cd, or lightbulb sun, but i think most people would agree to at least start on either lightbulb sun, in absentia, or stupid dream, if you like them try the others, they're maybe a bit different, i prefer the newer stuff.

I cannot say I know too much about Porcupine Tree, since Lightbulb Sun is the only disc I own from them. I picked it up cause Mikael was talking about Porcupine Tree in this interview, and he was praising them really hard, so the interviewer had to ask which of their albums are the best. Mikael answered that all of them are worth getting, but probably Lightbulb Sun would be a good start.

I got it and played it, not really expecting anything to blow me away, since maybe modern prog rock wasn't my biggest thing, but god, it was amazing! The songwriting is what matters, no matter what genre you're into. I will get In Absentia next, I guess. Looks like everyone likes it so much.

I wonder how In Absentia compares to Lightbulb Sun in terms of heaviness, production and songwriting. There is just something about LS that makes it really beautiful in a dark way.

NP: Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse

Mezarkabul said:
I wonder how In Absentia compares to Lightbulb Sun in terms of heaviness, production and songwriting. There is just something about LS that makes it really beautiful in a dark way.

"In Absentia" CLEARLY is heavier - although this new-found heaviness is only prevelant in about 4-5 songs.
In fact, the disc's opener, "Blackest Eyes" has a tremendous "Opeth riff" - you can't miss it!! It's an amazing album. The production is also slightly more polished, but close to their other albums.

My fav is still "Lightbulb Sun", however. In my view, the song "So Low" is simply the most emotionally moving piece of recorded music this side of the Beatles!

Anyway, "Stupid Dream", "Recordings" & "Signify" are all equally ass-kicking!

And I've just recently picked up the "Stars Die" compilation (the early years). For a long time I avoided it, as I (mis)understood their early music to be mostly soundscapes/atmospherics. I was wrong. The songs on "Stars Die" are friggin' amazing!!!

This band has seriously (and very quickly) ascended to the top of my "Fav Band" list.

And I thank Opeth for it! :headbang:

Is Recordings worth buying? I have all their albums from Signify forward (not the ep's and singles, though) and Stars Die. I've thought about getting it, but wondered if it would be worth it.

Speedkill said:
Is Recordings worth buying? I have all their albums from Signify forward (not the ep's and singles, though) and Stars Die. I've thought about getting it, but wondered if it would be worth it.

YES! It IS a compilation of unreleased tunes & BSides from singles, but it really *flows* like an album proper.

It has one of my ALL time fav PT tunes: "In Formaldehyde", as well as two of their best instrumentals (IMO): "Oceans Have no Memory" & "Ambulance Chasing". It also has the 13minute version of "Even Less" - this version catapults the great song into even higher realms of being!

I was hesitant about buying it myself, but am GLAD I did!

If I were to rate their "albums" (that I own, anyway), I'd rate as follows:
"Lightbulb Sun"
"In Absentia" (mainly for 'Trains'!)
"Recordings"
"Stupid Dream"
"Signify"

"Stars Die" is bloody amazing, as well.
(I do not have the first 4 four)

Wait until the remodeled versions of Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstair come out later this year, then pick them up immediately, especially since you like Stars Die, which is an excellent compilation, and rare in that is of equal value to both diehards and newcomers. I want to be buried with my Porcupine Tree albums. :)

In absentia and recordings. hell, ivè resently been introduced to their music too. thanx to opeth. i bought three of their albums in one week, very impressive.

have anyone listened to voyage 34 ? it certainly seems like a great "setting" beeing designed for psychonauts. :)

in absentia is the most interesting thecnically speaking.