in dire need of help/constructive criticism.

AndrewPGlover

Nov 28, 2009
I have been working on this mix for a band that I recorded a week ago. Usually I have a good friend of mine mix the stuff that I record but I am trying to really get my hands dirty on this one because I really liked the guys and wanted to be as hands on as possible with this one.

I have kind of mixed myself into a hole though, because I don't really know where to take the mix from here. I don't think it sounds bad, but it definitely sounds a bit muddy to me and I can seem to figure out how to decrease the mud.

Thanks in advance for opinions/guidance.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8779128/Mix 2.1.mp3

My impression just as a casual listener is that the guitar tone is pretty good, but the drums, especially the snare, sound lifeless.

Guitars are nothing but bass and treble, the 2 things that they don't need in a mix. Snare's a good bit too high in the mix, kick is too low, and bass is virtually nonexistent.

Sometimes I wonder if I sound like an asshole when I post advice. :lol:

I like the guitar tone just the way it is. It may not be the kind of tone everyone thinks you should have, i.e., super-cranked mids, but I think it has its own character. Although the muted tracks do sound a little thin, tbh.