In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Well, it is logical that album gets good reception here. After all it is IF fans forum. It's 7.5-8/10 album and that won't change much.

Haha, you must love that moment when Bjorn and Roberto get all excited about the sound of A New Dawn. I was the same when I heard that section.

I think that people are praising this album all too much. I also had high hopes for this one but now after a few listens I realize that it's just ok with a few good songs, but most of them are mediocre at best. I just started playing Clayman, it's on an entire different level. I really miss the good old days...

After several dozens of listens, here is (finally) my opinion about this album :

Sounds Of A Playground Fading is a great intro for this. It really shows that SOAPF has been written as a whole album, as one of the strongest part of the song (if not the strongest) is the intro. I like how Daniel breaks the rythm in the verses, the chorus is cool, solo is great. I will not give any mark to the songs, nor to the album. I think it's useless as it is new. You all know that, but you all gave a mark to each and every song. In less that one week, your opinion will have changed. Anyway, no marks for me.

Deliver Us is the hook which comes just after the intro song. I think that the key parts of this song are the chorus (which is really really good) and the solo. It's a short song and it was made this way, just to maintain the listener's attention after the title track. This song is a hit and will be a hit forever, but it is not gonna be a legend.

I thought All For Me was really really cool at first. It's definitely a hook. Now, I like it a little bit less than other songs like Fear is the Weakness, if you ask me. I love how Anders sings on the acoustic/solo part, it has a slight Irish punk touch to it. The chorus is cool, I like the keyboards. The overall song has a STYE touch to it, but if this song was on STYE, it would definitely be one of the coolest songs of this album.

The Puzzle didn't really catch my attention at first, except the outro which is - don't make me wrong - outstanding. But the song grew on me, the chorus is pretty cool, the solo too. Anyway, I still think that the key part of the song is the outro. This kind of refreshing things is what ASOP lacks of. It's a cool song, and I really think that it could become a killer hit on stage. Man...This chorus and this outro on stage would totally fit their setlist.

Fear is the Weakness didn't really hook me at first. I thought it was OK, that's all. After dozens and dozens of listens, I think it's one of the best songs of this album. This chorus is amazingly written and played. I love the way the entire album feels. You take a slap with The Puzzle, and then the outro of the song is refreshing, and then, refreshing song with Fear is the Weakness. Again, one of the best songs here.

Where the Dead Ships Dwell is their next single, obviously. I mean...EVERYTHING in this song is totally catchy. At first I really liked it, but hooks are what they are. Cool song anyway.

The Attic is one of the best songs of this album. From Anders voice to Björn's guitar and the accordion, everything is so smooth. It feels like this track is from another dimension. Lyrics are really cool too. It is a deep track, full of smooth details, almost magical. I love it.

I think that Darker Times is pretty much everything The Attic is not. And I don't mean it's not cool. It is a fast paced, groovy and extremely catchy track, I personnaly like it a lot. It has a STRONG Reroute To Remain feeling to it. It is only 7 seconds longer than The Attic, and this is the reason why I see it as an interlude too. I think that the interlude is more the couple "The Attic + Darker Times" than the first one alone, and I love the way it's done.

I will be straightforward, Ropes is one the the best tracks of this album. The intro/outro riff is awesome, the chorus is magical. The construction is the same as Fear is the Weakness (only two choruses parts, and not three), which sounds really good to me. Like Fear is the Weakness, I thought the song was OK at first, and then it grew to be one of the best out there.

Enter Tragedy is a mix between The Puzzle and Deliver Us. I mean, it's fast paced and straightforward like The Puzzle, but it has an extremely catchy chorus. At first I loved it, but now I prefer growers like Fear is The Weakness and Ropes. It's catchy, efficient, and it gives a slap to the listener, but I don't think it's one of the best songs here.

Jester's Door, or Jesper's Door, is a cool interlude. It's really refreshing and I like it a lot. It's just like IN FLAMES making a tribute to IN FLAMES. It does its job very well.

A New Dawn is, indeed, a really really strong one. All the riffs of this song are catchy, Anders voice is amazing. The chorus is cool, but the key part of the song is this awesome instrumental part. It's like an interlude in the song. One of the strongest parts of the album, along with The Puzzle outro and "The Attic/Darker Times" interlude. I love this song.

You are in a movie theater, the blockbuster just ends and Liberation pops up. This is just how it is. It's a really cool track, very refreshing. It plays exactly the same role as a song played after a movie. Welcome back to the real world. But it goes deeper in its role, as the outro is really immersive. Amazing job done on this track. I love it too.

This album is, indeed, better than A Sense Of Purpose. Maybe it's better than Soundtrack To Your Escape, or even Come Clarity, I still don't know and I won't before at least a year. STYE has strong songs which became IN FLAMES hit, like My Sweet Shadow or The Quiet Place (God, Evil In A Closet is amazing too). Come Clarity has a very cool ambiance and really strong tracks too. Now wait and see how this new album grows on us and how the songs feel on stage. One thing for sure, some songs here are going to become IN FLAMES legendary classics. Just wait to see how many of these, and which songs.

Cheers.

PlainVanilla good review, close to mine!

But Studio report #5 just reminded me HOW COOL is part in New Dawn after orchestra - that solo led by violin! eargasm

Question: Does anyone know what the meaning behind The Attic is? I'm not saying it's not a good song, it's actually one of the best of the album, and I like the lyrics, but why would Anders talk about a guy building a machine because he doesn't want people to see him? In other words, what's the story behind the song, it's like a story that I want to listen to but it ends and leaves me with intrigue. It's like Anders has more to say but the song just ends.

Don't troll on me I love the song, I'm just curious about what he's trying to tell us.

I'm sure that "the attic" and "the machine" are just metaphors. Perhaps the attic is a place where you can feel safe and hide from all your problems. The machine is some kind of false "self", like a mask towards other peoples to hide your actual thoughts. Just some speculations. :)

Question: Does anyone know what the meaning behind The Attic is? I'm not saying it's not a good song, it's actually one of the best of the album, and I like the lyrics, but why would Anders talk about a guy building a machine because he doesn't want people to see him? In other words, what's the story behind the song, it's like a story that I want to listen to but it ends and leaves me with intrigue. It's like Anders has more to say but the song just ends.

Don't troll on me I love the song, I'm just curious about what he's trying to tell us.

I'm not sure of all the lyrics, so I'm not sure if this will help. But, what I get from it is like a cirle type feel. He starts talking about this guy building a machine in the attic who is never seen. Then the second verse, he says something happens and he hides in the attic, never to be seen, building his own machine. So, that's the full cirle part I get from it. As for what the machine is, I just feel like it could be a defense mechanism for him to hide from the world or something that is scaring him. I'll have to wait until I have the lyrics in front of me to be able to read them all several times in a row.

Here are the lyrics :

There's someone in the attic
Building a strange machine
Never really seen him
But I think he works all day
Blinded by the world oustide
I stay inside
Hardly know my name
But it's getting better by time

I saw something in the mirror
Someone's watching me
If I hide in the attic
He will never get to me
I found some ropes on the floor
I have to build a trap
So I start on my machine
I am never to be seen

I think that the first verse is what the guy thinks about the man hiding in the attic, and the second one is how the guy in the attic feels when he knows he's been discovered.

This song is about the theme of the whole album. The world is gonna end. It's like a scene taking place in a near apocalyptic world, where people are all mad and disoriented. I like how the two characters sound half mad in this track.

I'm not sure of all the lyrics, so I'm not sure if this will help. But, what I get from it is like a cirle type feel. He starts talking about this guy building a machine in the attic who is never seen. Then the second verse, he says something happens and he hides in the attic, never to be seen, building his own machine. So, that's the full cirle part I get from it. As for what the machine is, I just feel like it could be a defense mechanism for him to hide from the world or something that is scaring him. I'll have to wait until I have the lyrics in front of me to be able to read them all several times in a row.

Lyrics:
building a strange machine.
Never really seen him
but I think he works all day

Blinded by the world outside
I stay inside.
I hardly know my name
but it's getting better by time.

I saw something in the mirror.
Someone's watching me.
If I hide in the attic
they will never get to me.

I found some rope on the floor.
I have to build a trap
so I start on my machine.
I am never to be seen.

There!

The first verse is from the point of view of somebody that sees the figure.
The rest is from the point of view of the figure, being watched and all.

But the confusing part is, why is he blinded by the world outside? and for what reason does he hide?

Why doesn't he want to be seen? What is he hiding? Is he a monster? Is he someone with a disease and he doesn't want to infect the rest so he kills anybody who sees him, thinking that they'll do something to him? What is the concept of the song?

Amazing vocals, background electric drums, guitars and bass lines, but I just don't get it. I wished Anders had an account had told me what he's trying to say.

Somebody help me with this.

For a more apocalyptic approach:
A tragic story of a lonely person in a desolate post-apocalyptic world. He's refering to "There's someone in the attic..." then it changes and he's talking about himself. He's paranoid "I saw something in the mirror someone's watching me", his mind slowly starts to decay. He starts to build his machine, he's defending himself from the outside world hiding in the attic. In the outro I can see him in a corner dying slowly just as the world outside.

For a more apocalyptic approach:
A tragic story of a lonely person in a desolate post-apocalyptic world. He's refering to "There's someone in the attic..." then it changes and he's talking about himself. He's paranoid "I saw something in the mirror someone's watching me", his mind slowly starts to decay. He starts to build his machine, he's defending himself from the outside world hiding in the attic. In the outro I can see him in a corner dying slowly just as the world outside.

Actually, I think that both characters of the song are just the same guy. He just sees himself in the mirror, and then feels watched.

Lyrics:
Never really seen him

I stay inside.
I hardly know my name

Someone's watching me.
If I hide in the attic

I have to build a trap
I am never to be seen.

Does it bother anyone else that this doesn't rhyme at all? Maybe it's just me?

Actually, I think that both characters of the song are just the same guy. He just sees himself in the mirror, and then feels watched.

So that machine could be something to kill himself? Suicide? He could be paranoid, or I'm just going nuts. (Anders explain yourself) Why is he alone, and WHY DOESN'T HE WANT TO BE SEEN? THAT is the question. But what if he's not paranoid?

@ kdbolt70: not really, this isn't a song that is meant to rhyme, if it were any other type of song then yeah I'd be pissed, but this is a concept song.

However there are SOME (a few) rhymes, in Spain we classify rhymes into two types. The ones that just rhyme (Too, do, boo, who, etc.) and the ones that rhyme but in an indirect way (day, me, name) because it depends on how you sing the lyrics that makes those rhymes. There are some artists (many) that instead of singing "me" like "me" it sounds like "may". Just an example.

But back to the topic. Bring ideas up on what Anders is trying to say.

So that machine could be something to kill himself? Suicide? He could be paranoid, or I'm just going nuts. (Anders explain yourself) Why is he alone, and WHY DOESN'T HE WANT TO BE SEEN? THAT is the question. But what if he's not paranoid?

I think that his machine is nothing. Some trashes put together that he pretends to be a machine. Everything is in his head.

Yeah, that's what I meant. His mind starts to decay and he's paranoid. He thinks there are other people but in fact it's just himself left.

Does it bother anyone else that this doesn't rhyme at all? Maybe it's just me?

Never really seen him

I stay inside.
I hardly know my name

Someone's watching me.
If I hide in the attic

I have to build a trap
I am never to be seen.

Thank you, come again :D :D

I haven't heard the song, so can't comment on it musically. Reading the lyrics i don't get the feeling that it is from two points of view- personally, i think the 'character' from the first half thinks there somebody in the attic hiding away (when he himself is already hiding away: "Blinded by the world outside, i stay inside"). He then entraps himself in the attic and becomes this 'someone in the attic'. It's metaphor becoming reality. That's just my take on it :D

I haven't heard the song, so can't comment on it musically. Reading the lyrics i don't get the feeling that it is from two points of view- personally, i think the 'character' from the first half thinks there somebody in the attic hiding away (when he himself is already hiding away: "Blinded by the world outside, i stay inside"). He then entraps himself in the attic and becomes this 'someone in the attic'. It's metaphor becoming reality. That's just my take on it :D

Here you go. :D

Last edited by a moderator: