In Mist She Was Standing...

"With anger the winds blew, Giving wings to my stallion, Clouds gathered across the moon, Blazing the white light"

One of my favorite parts of that song; sooo intense, gives me goose bumps all the time.

My favorite lyrics of all Opeth songs. Best song on Orchid. I love the way Mike screams on this song. From intense to more intense.....can't recall the exact section that is my favorite now, tho I can hear it in my head. I really miss the Orchid/Morningrise sound. MAYH and after tho not bad, really do suck ass if you're comparing them to these first two.

I like how it's the first song and it's as if they bust out of the gate immediately into a solid sound with riffs and changes. I think it's a great opening how it grabs your attention. Keeps my interests, like I'm waiting for that next thing to start. And it does! At 1:40. Faint vocals...whispers...OH BOY! Then the death vocals start and that riff behind it. I like the 2:40 riff a lot.

What a tale this song is. He's on horseback...in the woods, it's cold and dark and winds blowing! Fucking great Opeth setting. "Clouds gathered across the moon", man! Then a great soft passage at 3:30ish, but not for long! That rolling riff comes in.

On top of all this, then the story takes an even greater twist! There's a ghost...AND IT'S WAITING FOR HIM! <GOOSEBUMPS!> The quiet part that ends around 6:20 leaves so much to the imagination. Don't you think? But I absolutely LOVE the way the guitars come in at 7:01. Seems I'm always poised, waiting for it, when it finally does.

And the lyrics "darkness encloses" - he looses light - "the candle seems to expire". Uh, you gotta be kidden me. The element of fear is so apparent. This is the song -- the vocals that I'm ALWAYS getting caught mimicking. The growls from 8:08-8:34. Can you picture it? :lol:

OH OH! Wait...there's one more part. That riff that starts up after it. Now, excuse me if it's played earlier in the song, but I'm too busy loving other sounds. At 8:42 when that riff comes in...mmm. If I ever learned to play the guitar, that'd be why. So I could play that riff. I like how well you can hear it when it's alone at 9:09.

10:17 AHHH!!! "And she spoke, once and forever. I'm so cold.
In mist enrobed the twilight. She was standing." \m/ :mad:

Damn, I feel like I just went on the Opeth coaster. It should be illegal to have a keyboard in front of you while you explain why you like a song AND have it played at the same time. Call it...overindulgencesharing or something. :lol:

The closing! You've got to love the closing. The double bass! Someone!

::looking at post::

Hey...you asked!
Suave_anim.gif

Yes, In Mist is wonderful. The best part about it though, is that the song feels so complete, so epic, that I feel as if I've listened to a whole album even though the 14 minutes goes by quick... and thats when Under the weeping moon kicks in and I realize I have the rest of the album ahead of me to listen to. Damn I love Orchid :D

What can I say, this was the first opeth song I'd ever heard. The initial riff drew me straight in...

and I've been hooked ever since...

"Darkness encloses
And the Candles seem to expire!
In her cold, cold hand
And as a forlorn soul
It will fade away..."

One of my favorite Opeth songs on my favorite Opeth recording!