In Mist She Was Standing

Wolff

New Metal Member
May 9, 2001
00:00-1:42
Guitar intro as Kush said resembles galloping of horses. I feel the energetic entrance sets the mood for the whole album. It's pacey, packed with energy, and a nice warm up...

1:42-2:08
A change in tempo here, made to feel seamless by Nordin's drumming. Notice the Aaaaa 1:55 or thereabout.

2:08
Seven Milestones... total silence... and a slight variation on the above riff.

2:21
Under a whatching autumn eye/
Contorted trees are spreding forth/
The message of the wind/

2:43
A cool short solo
(with) frozen hands I rode with the stars/

3:11
With anger the wind blew/
Giving wings to my stallion/
Clouds gathered across the moon/ (or how can you trust the moon, doesn't it sound like this?)
Blazing, the white light/

The singing becomes more intense, and the guitar sort of follows the vox more closely;

3:45
A drastic change in mood/tempo; again the acoustic guitar and Nordin aid the transition
Passing the lake I know so well/
I am near, yet so far away/ [whispered]

4:01
Back to galloping

Arrival... I saw her shadow in the darkness/
Awaiting me like the night awaits the day/
Standing silent smiling at my presence/
A black candle holds the only light/

4:44-5:32
Great solo (whoever plays it)
It emerges very naturally, and then takes off and pulls the whole sound to a different planet

5:34-6:35
We're officially in the new planet... the atmosphere is spacey, intriguing and very interesting.

6:35-7:13
Wow!!!
Check out the bass lines, the guitars alternating from one speaker to the other, and then the drums complimenting so perfectly. This is just a perfect Opeth moment.

7:13-
Again a change in tempo. I must add that the transition is done seamlessly, and that the guitar alternating sounds so playful and natural.

7:15-
Music becomes more intense and mean.
What comes next is one of my favourite Opeth choruses ever:
Darkness encloses/
And the candles seem to expire/
In her cold, cold hand/
And as a forlorn soul/
It will fade away/

There are something very dark coming up.

8:03-8:35
VOX:
This is so well done. Akerfeldt sounds like a tormented soul wanting to get that anger/despari out. I love the part when lines up growl after growl as if gasping for air (8:21); imo it adds tremendously to the dark/despairing feeling of the song.

8:09
DRUMS:
The double pedalling adds heaviness to the song. It's not fast so it doesn't take over; it's not slow so it doesn't distract; it's just the right texture on top of the other layers.

8:33
The song has reached an insane crescendo (hehe no pun to DT), so it normally comes down a bit; some people might not like the transition here; I don't care!!! I'm in a trance already.

8:40
Yet another different riff/mood. I love the variety here.

8:57-9:22
DRUMS:
I'm amazed at how Nordin makes everything sound so simple; constantly changing beats, never losing coherence.

9:26-9:35
Nice growl;)

9:36-
Touching her flesh in this night/
My blood froze forever/
Embraced before the dawn/
A kiss brought total eclipse/

Again the guitar pairing Akerfeldt's voice in the background is immense. As soon as he's finished with the chorus, it becomes more sonic and piercing.

10:20-10:27
Nice growl;)
And she spoke/
Once and forever/
I am so cold/
In mist enrobed the twilight/

She was standing.... [whispered]

10:43-11:39
All that guitar buildup is immediately substituted by acoustic guitars, light drumming, and some inquisite bass lines (10:53)... For some reason it always reminds me of the very very end of Call of Ktulu... Calm before the storm? The music intensifies once more

11:39-
Resultin in a great outro. The finest harmonies ever. I love the bass(11:55) and the drums, and I appreciate especially the drums playing a leading role (12:08 onwards)... In a way the energy/positiveness of drums/bass stand in a strak contrast with the more mellow/sad melodies played by Mikael/Peter... until it all comes full circle. Very thorough guitar work; it seems that M/P are out exploring something...the movement doesn't have speed, but in does have range and dimensions.

The end of Mist always gives me a feeling of optimism. I don't know why, and no other Opeth piece does this, it's a very unique feeling.

Maybe it's the way it all dies down slowly.

Don't know...

Every time there's a thread like this I have to stop everything I'm doing (which is usually nothing anyway) and listen to the song being analyzed while following the analysis...

Originally posted by Wolff
00:00-1:42
Guitar intro as Kush said resembles galloping of horses. I feel the energetic entrance sets the mood for the whole album. It's pacey, packed with energy, and a nice warm up...

1:42-2:08
A change in tempo here, made to feel seamless by Nordin's drumming. Notice the Aaaaa 1:55 or thereabout.

2:08
Seven Milestones... total silence... and a slight variation on the above riff.

2:21
Under a whatching autumn eye/
Contorted trees are spreding forth/
The message of the wind/

2:43
A cool short solo
(with) frozen hands I rode with the stars/

3:11
With anger the wind blew/
Giving wings to my stallion/
Clouds gathered across the moon/ (or how can you trust the moon, doesn't it sound like this?)
Blazing, the white light/

The singing becomes more intense, and the guitar sort of follows the vox more closely;

3:45
A drastic change in mood/tempo; again the acoustic guitar and Nordin aid the transition
Passing the lake I know so well/
I am near, yet so far away/ [whispered]

4:01
Back to galloping

Arrival... I saw her shadow in the darkness/
Awaiting me like the night awaits the day/
Standing silent smiling at my presence/
A black candle holds the only light/

4:44-5:32
Great solo (whoever plays it)
It emerges very naturally, and then takes off and pulls the whole sound to a different planet

5:34-6:35
We're officially in the new planet... the atmosphere is spacey, intriguing and very interesting.

6:35-7:13
Wow!!!
Check out the bass lines, the guitars alternating from one speaker to the other, and then the drums complimenting so perfectly. This is just a perfect Opeth moment.

7:13-
Again a change in tempo. I must add that the transition is done seamlessly, and that the guitar alternating sounds so playful and natural.

7:15-
Music becomes more intense and mean.
What comes next is one of my favourite Opeth choruses ever:
Darkness encloses/
And the candles seem to expire/
In her cold, cold hand/
And as a forlorn soul/
It will fade away/

There are something very dark coming up.

8:03-8:35
VOX:
This is so well done. Akerfeldt sounds like a tormented soul wanting to get that anger/despari out. I love the part when lines up growl after growl as if gasping for air (8:21); imo it adds tremendously to the dark/despairing feeling of the song.

8:09
DRUMS:
The double pedalling adds heaviness to the song. It's not fast so it doesn't take over; it's not slow so it doesn't distract; it's just the right texture on top of the other layers.

8:33
The song has reached an insane crescendo (hehe no pun to DT), so it normally comes down a bit; some people might not like the transition here; I don't care!!! I'm in a trance already.

8:40
Yet another different riff/mood. I love the variety here.

8:57-9:22
DRUMS:
I'm amazed at how Nordin makes everything sound so simple; constantly changing beats, never losing coherence.

9:26-9:35
Nice growl;)

9:36-
Touching her flesh in this night/
My blood froze forever/
Embraced before the dawn/
A kiss brought total eclipse/

Again the guitar pairing Akerfeldt's voice in the background is immense. As soon as he's finished with the chorus, it becomes more sonic and piercing.

10:20-10:27
Nice growl;)
And she spoke/
Once and forever/
I am so cold/
In mist enrobed the twilight/

She was standing.... [whispered]

10:43-11:39
All that guitar buildup is immediately substituted by acoustic guitars, light drumming, and some inquisite bass lines (10:53)... For some reason it always reminds me of the very very end of Call of Ktulu... Calm before the storm? The music intensifies once more

11:39-
Resultin in a great outro. The finest harmonies ever. I love the bass(11:55) and the drums, and I appreciate especially the drums playing a leading role (12:08 onwards)... In a way the energy/positiveness of drums/bass stand in a strak contrast with the more mellow/sad melodies played by Mikael/Peter... until it all comes full circle. Very thorough guitar work; it seems that M/P are out exploring something...the movement doesn't have speed, but in does have range and dimensions.

The end of Mist always gives me a feeling of optimism. I don't know why, and no other Opeth piece does this, it's a very unique feeling.

Maybe it's the way it all dies down slowly.

Don't know...

Jeez.. great.. now I gotta listen to the fucking song. fucking great. you're an asshole.

goddamn...

It's great when you have a break from opeth then come back to it.. it rocks.