In support of 'Thrax's lead guitarists!

Nov 4, 2004
Listened to the 30th Anniversary 'Spreading the Disease' over the weekend; hadn't heard the album in quite a while in full - what an amazing guitarist Danny is. When becoming a fan in 1990 Danny's melodic and always wonderful leads were one of the finest examples of what set Anthrax above other metal acts I liked and admired. Listen to him on PoT, not a single bad solo - all are musical in themselves.

We've had Paul Crook, Rob Caggiano, and now Jon Donais - all fine players, with Donais really contributing some wonderful lead work to the new album; he reminds me a lot of Danny; melodic and compelling solos and lead work that add that special element to each song.

I was never a big fan of Caggiano, he was a good player but could never quite do Danny's leads justice.

In Scott we have one of the finest metal rhythm players ever, and with the lead guitars, Danny is King - anyone feel Donais has potential to surpass?

I think Danny's finest hour - oddly enough - was SOWN, which was also his last album.
He had an unique style and tone, but I think all three his successors have been lot better guitarists technically. I always liked Paul Crook the most, now I think that the best guitar solos ever are on Worship Music. I found Donais' solos a bit unmemorable at first, but the more I listen to them the more I actually like them.

Of course, Danny's work on SOWN is sterling also; I remember first hearing 'Only' on the radio - and Danny's simple yet highly effective wah-wah enhanced solo. His work on the album as a whole is amazing.

For me subsequent guitarists couldn't do his work justice; technically they have been better but Danny's feel for melodic solos is unsurpassed. I can recall the solos to Danny's stuff as much as the vocal hooks.

Jon's lead and fills on FAK are stunning. I can't give that guy enough praise for what he's brought to the table.

As for Dan Spitz, yeah, his stuff on STD is probably his best. Also Fistful. Killer lead work there too.

Jon's lead and fills on FAK are stunning. I can't give that guy enough praise for what he's brought to the table.

As for Dan Spitz, yeah, his stuff on STD is probably his best. Also Fistful. Killer lead work there too.

Fistful is underrated in itself, deserves it's own topic as it's so darn good! I recall first hearing Fistful, it got no real love in the metal press ('Anthrax's unsure beginning'..etc), but it's packed with bloody good songs! Deathrider, Metal Thrashing Mad, Panic, Anthrax (now there's a song they really should play live again!), Subjugator..a fine slice of NWOBHM-influenced American metal!

Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher