Dan Spitz:All is Forgiven!

Nov 4, 2004
Greetings & Dia dhuit all!

Happy New Year & a belatd 'Nollaig Shona dhuit'(irish for 'Happy Xmas')

Dan Spitz,a cause of much debate I'm sure on 'thrax boards,I for one though think he's much missed.

Whether you like Rob or not,I do feel since Danny's left,he lead-guitar parts on the majority of 'thrax's records have been a li'l bit substandard.Danny was an incredible guitarist,and his solos added so much to the overall sound.Every one of his solos were immaculataly in tune with the track,and full of feeling and passion.On some of the band's weaker songs(and there are some!),they were often saved by Spitz and his solo's.Never playing fast just for the sake of it,they were always so well constructed,I've always thought he was THE finest lead-player in the metal genre.

No disrespect to Rob or Paul Crook,but,studio-wise,and live,I think some of the lead playing is weak,and like a pale shadow of Danny's.In fairness,both Rob and Paul do play very well,and some solo's are great,overall though it's a disappointment that the lead-guitar spot isn't 'up there' like it should be.

This is just my opinion,I am sure loads will disagree,some may agree though???

Ragamuffin said:
$10 says it's all him in his basement.
$20 says Ragamuffin is right. (He always is).
It has to be Dan. Just look at the typos!
And instead of using '...' he uses a comma without spacing.

I agree. I think Spitz was great while with the band. I love those years. But I dont miss him playing with the band anymore. Just like I dont miss Joey singing anymore. WCFYA, to me, is there best album to date. Rob adds mucho energy to the group I think. Musically and being on stage live.Frankly, He kicks ass. Bring Frankie back and the band will be perfect again. IMHO.

I miss Dan but it's over. Rob is the lead guitar player in Anthrax. I think Dan should start a new band. He has to much talent not to be playing music.

I really miss Dan's playing, but you can't take anything away from the playing since he left. Dime has given Thrax some of his finest leads, Charlie can certainly play as well as anyone, Rob has slotted in perfectly with the last record and tour, but his "interpretation" of the older stuff is way off in places and he only redeems himself when he goes back to playing them the way they were originally written, but on some tracks he shreds BIG TIME. And not taking anything away from Paul Crook, he has given us one of THE best Thrax solos in Random Acts of Senseless Violence. To those of us who grew up with Dan's style of solo and playing, we will miss him, but Thrax has moved on since then, but at the same time has never compromised what the band is all about. Yes I miss him, but he's had his chance, and he's gone. I couldn't imagine a better replacement than Rob.

I always liked Danny´s leads. But after comparing him to Paul Crook I think Paul was 1000 times better as a guitarist. I still think Crook was Anthrax´s best lead guitarist hands down, no offense to Mr.Caggiano.

johnnieCzech said:
I always liked Danny´s leads. But after comparing him to Paul Crook I think Paul was 1000 times better as a guitarist. I still think Crook was Anthrax´s best lead guitarist hands down, no offense to Mr.Caggiano.
paul did have a few good leads but he was always destined to do his own thing,he didnt fit very well into anthrax.

Dan was without a doubt an awesome guitarist but I'm glad he's gone. He just comes off like such a fucking douchebag and I think it would really create some bad vibes for the rest of the guys if he was back in the band.

mrthrax said:
paul did have a few good leads but he was always destined to do his own thing,he didnt fit very well into anthrax.
I´m not saying the opposite, but he did kick ass especially when it came down to playing Dan´s leads.

Yeah, it's definetly him. As far as the topic he started, yeah Dan's leads were pretty cool, but not exactly extremely technical. They were cool, but not much more than above average. Anthrax, in my opinion has a history of not having amazing lead guitarists.

Dan was acceptable. But I like Rob much much better, especially how he slays those Spitz solos on The Greater of two Evils.....me puts much more "Beef" or some shit into 'em.