In the spotlight (part 2): Andreas Söderin

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
The idea: each week we'll place a SW-member in the spotlight and share/discuss our feelings and thoughts regarding his playing.

This week: Andreas "Kyrrt" Söderin

Here's a nice quote from Kyrrt: "Ok, let me try this one!"
:p

So, what do you like in Kyrrt's playing?
Do you have some favourite parts?
Do you like the melodical aspect of Kyrrt's playing/solos or the more technical aspect?
What do you think of his 'orchestration and/or piano sound'?
etc.....

ooh, i love everything about Kyrt's style. Both piano parts and keys, solos, the different sounds he uses. I'd only love to hear more piano solos.

I'd second that Frankgate!
I really love the grand piano sound!
It would be awesome, to actually have a piano solo instead of a synth solo.

IMO, Kyrrt's sense of melody is absolutely brilliant.

(I did a little search and) my post from almost three years ago says it all: "...Let me take this opportunity to thank you for creating all these awesome melodies on the keyboard and the piano. I just love the tone of your sound. I get the idea that you feel that the melody is always the most important thing within the song. The soft parts, the huge epic parts and the solo's...I love it all...THANKS!!".

I just love the sound of his keys and his melodies during the duel-solos/instrumental parts with Johan in 'Break the Silence' and 'Hide and Seek' are among my favourites...amazing musicianship :worship: .

During the making of 'TGE' Kyrrt wrote that he used a lot of keyboardtracks on one particular song - 21 to be exact. I guess he was talking about the titletrack :).
That song of course has it all: solos/leads, wonderful (background) melodies, piano and orchestration!

Just a couple of magnificent parts from The Epic of all epics:
* From 1:40 - 2:56, it's all Kyrrt: amazing (orchestration)!
* The melody at 5:42 and the part from 6:10 - 6:38 blew my mind the first time I heard it - LOVE IT!
* The faster and more technical solo that starts at 8:04 :kickass:.
* The delicate little piano part that starts at 9:55 is just brilliant.
* Again, a more faster/technical keyboardsolo at 16:04 - but still maintaining an awesome melody!
* Both short solos during the first part of 'The Curtain Falls', the pianopart after that and of course, the sound and melody of the huge epic ending!

Talking about melody, imo the most awesome melody is the intro for "King Of Whitewater".
I absolutely love that piano intro!
And as Kazar said, the part in TGE from 1:40 - 2:56 is really epic. And i literally mean it.
Really got that "epic" vibe, just like sitting in the movie theater watching the intro for a movie.
Awesome!

I think that Kyrrt's melodies are fantastic when it comes to the clean piano parts. It's an integral part of what pushes Tommy to another level. I also love how he plays many parts in a simple manner, which I feel definitely helps the guitar and bass stand out as well..

While I enjoy the synth/guitar solos when they are playing together, I do miss the style of the synth solos from Waiting in the Wings.

I must say that I really love Kyrrt's style, especially the way he played, overall, on Waiting in the Wings. On Mercy Falls, the keyboards were what really brought me into the album as far as atmosphere goes. And on The Great Escape, I love love LOVE the clean piano over the heavy guitar and bass riffs (On the title track, for example).

Dedication, talent, good compositions and an overall great guy would sum it up for me. He really knows his stuff!
I think all of these guys don't settle for less than the best they can.

...and here is another band member with multiple instruments. Did you see him playing drums for a swing band on YouTube? He must be classically trained, and if not, he is utterly amazing in his keyboard wizardry.

Let me give you guys an insight as to just how much of a genious this guy is.. After the Jönköping show, we were all hanging in the hotel room together.. Late at night, quite a few beers, hehe... His keyboard was in the room so I put it on my lap and we started playing a "guess what song" game... Mind you it wasn´t plugged in so he the keyboard was absolutely silent. Kyrrt sat opposite me, looking at what I played (or tired to play haha) upside down and he´d instantly sing the basslines, chords and melodies quietly in his head and within 2 seconds tell me what song it was.. Queen, Lady Gaga, DT, Rihanna, ABBA, Kiss, Eminem, you name it.. He nailed every single one!

Thanks for the nice story, Stefan (and playing all those tunes tells a little bit about your own diverse musicianship as well :headbang: )!

Yes, the man's a walking music encyclopedia. During the afterparties at PPE he (almost) just played everything what was yelled for. Simply amazing :worship: !!

Funny story! (except the part concerning Lady Gagga, Ryanna or something.... thumbs down, definitely)

No doubt Kyrt is a little genius and he also promised to play more grand piano solos on next record (*yeeeeeeah*)

During the afterparties at PPE he (almost) just played everything what was yelled for. Simply amazing :worship: !!

I can vouch for this, even through our (me and my brother) flat singing :zombie: Awesome night! And we were wondering who was the (nearly) bald body builder who was with SW.. :lol: