In the spotlight (part 4): Andreas Blomqvist

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
The idea: each week we'll place a SW-member in the spotlight and share/discuss our feelings and thoughts regarding his playing (and lyrics).

Next in line: Andreas Blomqvist

Here's a nice quote from Andreas :D:
"If you have no talent (=me) you just practise like crazy for ten years -then you can pretend to be a prog musician too, just like I did"!

Marcel Jacob, who died July 2009, was a big influence for Andreas - Marcel was his friend and mentor at the same time.
Andreas: "Like I said, he was my friend, but perhaps more important to the rest of the world he was and incredible song writer and in my mind the greatest bass player who has ever walked the earth".

So, do you have some favourite 'Andreas'-parts?
What do you think of the prominent role the bass has in SW's music?
What do you think of Andreas' lyrics? Do you have favourites within his lyrical contributions?
etc....

Andreas Blomqvist is the one I care the less in the SW family (LOL) :wave:

Seriously, he's an amazing musician and songwriter, I love his bass solos but I love the riffs the most. And he's got a wonderful taste for writing melodies.

What I would like the most right now is him stopping working in the States and back to Scandinavia to write new songs :hotjump:

Being a bass-enthusiast myself, Mr Blomqvist is the main reason I listen to Seventh Wonder. Don't get me wrong, I like their music as a whole, and everyone has his own "unique-ness" - but I find this guy's abilities to be exceptional.

Discovering this band sometime early 2009, I thought their stuff was unusually melodic and cool (yep, in a good way), but it wasn't until one day when I was on the subway home from work, during the passage in "Not an Angel" that I really had a jaw-drop-moment. "Is that bass in there too? Nah it can't be! No, wait - it is!!!!" :yow:

Then I started noticing these amazing basslines in their other songs. I love how it's usually very distinct, as many bass-tracks from other bands are barely there. Like he said in some other thread, it was something like this: if you're going to play bass at a certain level (skillwise or other), at least have it high enough in the mix so that people can actually hear it!

This guy has the right idea, people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And it seems I had a username without the ï here as well. I really do have more posts than this one - as Solïloquy or Soliloquÿ or something.

Seventh Wonder is probably the only band in which I pay more attention to the bass parts than anything else. I'm a guitarist with some little experience with a bass, but when I play bass I play it as a guitarist (if you know what I mean). Guys like Andreas, with their perfect technique and great, great choice of notes throughout every single song...well I don't know many of them and they certainly make me want to drop guitar and learn to play bass as a bassist would do. At this point I'd say that he is my favorite bassist, all genres taken together.

My favorite part would be the tapping at around 10 min in The Great Escape.

Andreas Karl Johan Blomqvist shares so much of himself with his fans beyond the music that I almost feel as if I personally know him. His song writing and musicianship is fantastic, of course, but he also seems to be a genuinely caring and loving human being, despite his misguided passion for American football. I think his term working in the US will make him appreciate his native Sweden all the more when he returns. (I also adore his beautiful smile :tickled:).

Andreas Karl Johan Blomqvist shares so much of himself with his fans beyond the music that I almost feel as if I personally know him. His song writing and musicianship is fantastic, of course, but he also seems to be a genuinely caring and loving human being, despite his misguided passion for American football.

My thoughts exactly, exept: what is wrong with american football?! :devil: :D

Anyway, in playing-wise, there's no bass player like Andreas who bulldozes a lots of room for his instrument in songs, even if we talk about progressive metal. You can hear bass all the time in Seventh Wonder's music. In my knowledge, there are few bassists in metal, like Joey DeMaio and Steve Harris, who let they axes speak loud in some parts of the songs, but like I said, Andreas does it all the time. His bass-patterns is something which sometimes goes far beyond my understanding (yeah yeah, I'm a drummer!), and that is what puts extra groove to SW-tunes, and gives the band an unique, recognisable trademark, which is always a good thing!

Also, Andy and Tommy does write excellent lyrics and stories together!

As already been said, it's so awesome that you can actually hear and pay attention to the bass.
Most bands are just using the bass to support the guitar, but i think it's very important to let every instrument shine through.
I really dig the bass solos!
I wish there were more bands who would acknowledge the bass as an individual instrument, on the same level of importance as the guitar.
Keep rocking Andreas, even though i mainly play guitar you're really inspiring!

My thoughts exactly, exept: what is wrong with american football?! :devil: :D

Also, Andy and Tommy does write excellent lyrics and stories together!

American football is a curse, unless you happen to be a sports enthusiast, a gambler or a promoter of both. (Luckily my husband and I both detest spectator sports in general:Shedevil:)

I totally agree that SW songs are exceptional in every way. I have difficulty choosing a favorite every time I listen. Strangely enough, I recently heard an interview of another Swedish metal musician, and he classed Seventh Wonder as an "underground group" in Sweden!!!:OMG: This can't be true, can it? Maybe here in the US, but in Scandinavia? Something must be done to change this injustice! :devil:

American football is a curse, unless you happen to be a sports enthusiast.

Heh, thats me - guilty as charged!

I recently heard an interview of another Swedish metal musician, and he classed Seventh Wonder as an "underground group" in Sweden!!!:OMG: This can't be true, can it? Maybe here in the US, but in Scandinavia? Something must be done to change this injustice! :devil:
Unfortunately that is true. I mean, most of the scandinavian prog-fans must know SW, but it aint that bigger. I still really hope that Wonder's get really big some day!

Wait, so why is Andreas in the US? I haven't been here in a while and I was just wondering.

But, as someone else said earlier, I also find myself paying a lot more attention to the bass parts in Seventh Wonder's music than any other band I listen to.

Andreas has redefined the bassguitar as an instrument in progmetal and other sorts of metal.

I'm a seasoned Dream Theater enthousiast and even though Myung is a great bassplayer in his own right, Andreas puts some seriously melody and technique in there.
He makes the bass a very interesting instrument!

@donKyle - to satisfy your nosyness ;)

Andreas is a Research Manager at St. Jude Medical, a company which develops medical technology and services that focus on putting more control into the hands of those who treat cardiac, neurological and chronic pain patients worldwide.

Andreas is a Research Manager at St. Jude Medical, a company which develops medical technology and services that focus on putting more control into the hands of those who treat cardiac, neurological and chronic pain patients worldwide.

Thumbs up for Andy :wave:

Andreas seems to be enjoying his stint in the US, but let's hope he doesn't become too settled in his job and California living. I fear he may be asked to stay in his current employment permanently, which would threaten his fantastic, Swedish underground band, even though it sounds like an excellent management position in Los Angeles.

Lol thanks Kazar.:D Seems pretty neat! Helping others is always smiled upon.

Andreas seems to be enjoying his stint in the US, but let's hope he doesn't become too settled in his job and California living. I fear he may be asked to stay in his current employment permanently, which would threaten his fantastic, Swedish underground band, even though it sounds like an excellent management position in Los Angeles.

Yes, it'd be really sad if Seventh Wonder was affected negatively by this.

most of all, I hope he's not gonna play rap or hip-hop.... (*thumbs down*)

Surely that would never happen!