Incapable of using my Distressor as external insert in Sonar PE

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey folks!!! I´m trying to use my distressor as external insert in Sonar, but I´ve spent all day and NOTHING!!!
The intructions are pretty simple, insert the "external insert" into the fx bin, then set a send and a return (I put ADAT I/O´s as I use ADI2 as converter). The thing is there´s no signal going out my Saffire 56, and therefore no signal to process into the distressor...
I hope any of you could shed some light here....

PD: My intention is take a ADAT output of Saffire´s, then do the DA conversion into ADI then go analog into distressor, out of distressor back to ADI and then thru another ADAT input back to Saffire

Thankssssssssss

This is easy brother. On the track you have the external insert on you need to set the output to the physical output you have the Distressor on. Just like your 2Buss is probably routed to output 1 and 2 you will need to figure out which output number is assigned to the output you are using on the Saffire. Then select the return to be the input on your unit it is coming back through.

This is easy brother. On the track you have the external insert on you need to set the output to the physical output you have the Distressor on. Just like your 2Buss is probably routed to output 1 and 2 you will need to figure out which output number is assigned to the output you are using on the Saffire. Then select the return to be the input on your unit it is coming back through.

I can´t get anything shitttt!!! Let me explain you as I was a noobie what I´m doing exactly:
Snare track: in its fx bin I put "external insert" I set the send to the ADAT 1 output and then the return to the ADAT 9 input (Saffire has two lightpipes, I send from the Nº1 (ADAT 1-8) and return in ADAT2 (9-16).
The output of the track is set to Drum Bus, I can´t set the out to the same output I´m using on the external insert (ADAT1)

You're confusing me haha... so You have the SEND set in the picture to ADAT 1 OUT.... and then RETURN on ADAT 9....

Where does your last line come into play? "The output of the track is set to Drum Bus, I can´t set the out to the same output I´m using on the external insert (ADAT1)"

Are you trying to SEND to ADAT 1, RETURN on 9 and then trying to output the whole bus to ADAT 1 as well? That's what I'm getting from your post. If so obviously that won't work. You can't have a source going in and then route it to a bus and have that also go in.

sonar.jpg

BTW Nice pres. I have a Chandler TG2 myself. I used to use a Distressor as well but had to sell it. Hopefully going to get a pair again soon. :)

Also, something I'd suggest would be this... I suspect you have some impossible routing selected which is why Sonar won't do it.

Open a new project and set the insert. No messing with other tracks and inserts etc. See if your send and return get any signal. If not then something is not being routed right. Perhaps the distressor is on a different input. Do you even see the send level light up? If not sonar might not like your ADATs or something but I can't see why. Just to troubleshoot though I'd do the above though to see if it's a routing issue with something else in your full project.

Try to return on 1-8!, go out of output 1 and back in again on input 1 on the saffire. you are trying to set it up as an aux send! which is probably why the insert isnt working is my guess!.

Thanks so much for your help, I´m gonna do it step by step, I´m gonna use only analog ins and outs from saffire, not going to use the RME converter.
Well the picture looks like this. SEND --> LINE OUT Nº3, RETURN---> ANALOG IN Nº6
When only set the SEND, there´s sound and movement, once I set the return, no sound or visual movement. Pictures:

You´ll need to return on the same number/channel as the output!!. you need to get it back on 3, if you output on 3.
Think of it as an analog insert!, you take out the signal on cahnnel 3, to go to the comp and then return it on channel 6!! it wont work!. If you output on channel 3 you need to get it back from the comp on channel 3 aswell.

You´ll need to return on the same number/channel as the output!!. you need to get it back on 3, if you output on 3.
Think of it as an analog insert!, you take out the signal on cahnnel 3, to go to the comp and then return it on channel 6!! it wont work!. If you output on channel 3 you need to get it back from the comp on channel 3 aswell.

You mean, that If I set the send on line out 3, I have to set the return on line input 3???? Oh well, it makes sense, this is what I´d do with a hardware mixer....
I will try as soon I get home, thanks so fucking much!!!!

Well, bad news I´m completely incapable of make any sound of it....I´m kinda dissapointed with this simple/straightforward issue....
I now guess the problem is in the saffire router matrix, it has sooo many possibilities...that maybe something is not set in the correct way....
Anyway thanks so very much to all of you that spend the time trying to help me...