income from gigs?

outerone

Alchemy of the Sorcerer
Feb 9, 2006
San Francisco
The thread on what label you would want sing with got me thinking about how much bands actually make per gig. I have no idea so I was wondering if any of you know some rough estimates.

How much do you think Opeth make a show? Then how much a smaller metal band makes or then what about big metal bands. Now I do know that a big international star like Sting makes up to 500,000 for a big festival headline, but thats Sting I metal isnt anywhere near that except Metallica.

Local bands at local venues make next to nothing. Most have a deal with the venue to take a cut off the door, or maybe all of the door, whereas the venue gets their profit from liquor sales (hence why underage gigs aren't very popular).

Bands like Opeth would do fine I think. Even here in Melbourne, two consecutive nights in a row they almost filled a fairly large concert hall.

For smaller bands its just a balance of expenditures vs how many you expect to attend the gigs. It must be hard to make a profit going international for less known acts, as you don't really have a hope of attracting punters. That's why most bands do a test run by tagging along with a bigger act as an opener (what Opeth did with Nevermore in 2002.. or was it late 2001?).

Interesting thread. I have no idea how much big name bands make for their gigs. I can tell you though that my band rakes it in. Once we have split it up at the end of the night, we each end up with about $40 each! :cool:

Hehe at the end of the day we are more just concerned with having a good night out.

At my local place whilst in my old band we supported some awful band called Mendeed, who are vaguely famous within their scene.. They demanded that they were given &#163;1000 straight off, and then half of the door profits.. And they were shit live ><

..Whereas another band who are signed to that lame Victory Records label.. The Hurt Process.. They like.. only got &#163;500.

You're telling me! Watching him during sound check was fucking amazing! ..He also has the funniest accent i've ever heard.. A really strong scottish accent, accompanied by a very high pitched tone!

Yeh I've read interviews with this band. They sound like they are up their own arses.

Yeh, most of the band didn't say a word to anyone who wasn't part of their tour team or their support band.. Sanctorum i think it was. And they took absolutely years to soundcheck.. ending up with my band getting about 5 minutes soundcheck just before the place actually opened.

The drummer did say that i was a good drummer and that he liked my band though.. So he gets off lightly hehe ;)

My own really rough guess is that a band on bigger caliber, like Opeth, can make up to 20 K for a big show, might even be more for a festival appearance.

My band made &#163;40 once for supporting one either Mendeed of The Hurt Process.. Most likely Mendeed.. so we got a &#163;10 each..Was nice, but obviously not going to make much of a living if it remained that way.

bands that are on independent labels like for example victory records or fearless records, etc. those bands must recieve a minimum amount for that show. im pretty sure the amount is like $200-300, but the must recieve that from the venue or the guy who books the shows. my friend use to throw shows here last year, and a couple bands played that were on indie labels. only about 7 people came to the show so he had to run to an ATM and pay the bands with his own money.

i too have wondered how much opeth makes for a gig. lets say for example, at the hosue of blues show i saw them at, it was sold out, tickets were $17 a piece, so i'd guess that they made $10-15,000 for that show. plus merch they sell.

i too have wondered how much opeth makes for a gig. lets say for example, at the hosue of blues show i saw them at, it was sold out, tickets were $17 a piece, so i'd guess that they made $10-15,000 for that show. plus merch they sell.

Sounds about right. So after splitting that with band and crew each member probably makes 2-3 K for each show, times that with a tour and thats a good years salary there.