Inexpensive guitar+active pickups. Viable?

Kavar216

Resident Jedi Knight
Oct 27, 2009
Goa, India
I need a good workhorse guitar primarily for stage use. I already have a guitar...
It's an old (2005, I believe) model of an Ibanez RG Gio something that I bought for some 13,000 Rupees (ROUGHLY 250 USD) back in the day. BUT it's actually a surprisingly good sounding guitar. I am looking to put an active pickup in it in the bridge position (and have NO neck/middle pickups, I barely use themanyway) for 4 reasons:

1) They seem to sound more consistent, i.e. they do not depend THAT much on tonewood to sound great

2) They seem to be a lot quieter than passives (in my experience, at least).

3) I need a fucking shitload of output. :D

4) I hate soldering. I suck at it.

So my question is this: Is it viable? If so, please recommend what pickup I should go for.
EMG 81, EMG 85, EMG 57, EMG X series, SD Blackout, Mick Thomson Blackout,...looking for something organic/versatile. Will be playing metal mostly.

The guitar has a basswood body, bolt on maple neck, and a rosewood fretboard.

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

I recorded a band that a guitarist had a Gio and it sounded fantastic (edit: distortion, because clean sounded like crap except the middle pickup which was usable) after intonation and spring muting.

I wouldn't suggest you to use active pickups at all but from these you posted I would get the SD Blackout.

I thought passive pickups sounds more deeply and fuller than actives ones (only this brands you listed here). So u will need to have a talk with professional pickup maker. Then post that information here, because I have same guitar specifications and same question :D

Well, every pickup sounds different.

passive pickups sounds more deeply and fuller than actives ones
that's not entirely true.

Seymour Duncan has great support that can help you choose a pickup.

EMG 81, EMG 85, EMG 57, EMG X series, SD Blackout, Mick Thomson Blackout,...looking for something organic/versatile. Will be playing metal mostly.

You can get a little more organic sound from the blackouts, but I'd choose the EMG 81 in the bridge, for me it sounds way better for heavy tones.

My friend has an ibanez (dont know the model but it was less than $300) but the stock pickups in it sound fantastic. They are so punchy and have a huge, tight bottom end to them. I dont get it. It pisses me off :p I've honestly considered using it for recording versus my $800 Ltd which has blackouts in it.

Yeah, sometimes an inexpensive guitar will knock your socks off. Still listening to clips and stuff trying to decide between the 81 for it's ridiculous cut and EMTY Blackout for that meaty sound, the original Blackout is sounding a bit scooped to my ears...

So this is a TOTALLY viable thing, right? I hope I'm not wasting money...

If you play only on high-gain I say you're definitely wasting money. The difference will be transparent. Invest on learning to play better and setting up your guitar. This is what makes the most difference IMO. I've got some players that sounded totally bad on the studio and after a year when they came back with exactly the same gear they sounded a lot better.

A shitty sounding guitar will be shitty sounding no matter what is put into it, passive or active, actives aren't immune to guitar coloration, not at all. If your guitar is good sounding like you say it is, then tbh it probably doesn't matter whether you use passive or actives. If you just want to try out actives to see if you like them over passives then fucking do it, you never know until you try, experimentation is a great thing... I can't figure out why you would say you want a shit ton of output though... I've never played a guitar and said man, this thing really needs more output... If you actually do feel that way then I don't think a set of EMGs will fix that :\

Go EMGs, Blackouts sound dumb... I LOVE Duncan passives, but their actives are muddy as hell and have too much output, not the good kind.

To much output means that clean will also distort without a pad.

one of my friend gave me his old chinese guitar..
looks cool Vshape axe
it took around 200$ i guess back in 05
im trying to upgrade it for my personal use...im thinking how
getting a better rich metal sound

Go EMGs, Blackouts sound dumb... I LOVE Duncan passives, but their actives are muddy as hell and have too much output, not the good kind.

My Ibby rgr08 has a single blackout humbucker and yes, setting the pickup lower doesn't help to the muddyness. Also I need 2 pads ( motu 8pre's pad AND palmer DI's pad) so the interface won't clip.