Info on Devin Townsend

Interesting, some of the speculation on Devin's techniques. I live in Vancouver and know Devin as a customer at the music store I work at and from the scene here. Hell, I introduced him to the usage of Logic. I can verify that most of what's been posted is pretty accurate. But if you hear something outrageous, don't be 100% sure to believe it first time around. I'll ask him about the sandbox isolation cab, but that sounds out-of-character, though I'm not saying it's bogus, either.

Anyway, Greenhouse studios, as it was famously known here in town, has been defunct for a little while, it's rooms split up and rented to separate parties (sadly, an increasingly prominent practice here in Van.) The bit about Armoury for drums is pretty much true. An unsung talent should be mentioned here (Shaun Thingvold, who is a longtime Hevy Devy affiliate); Shaun used to work at the Armoury and it's still his favorite room in town. Not to mention it's a killer live room (sadly, it's been put up for sale recently by Bruce Fairburn, the owner). It gets amazing drum tones every time and has been used on a ton of records as a result.

Without getting too specific, I can say that I've heard Devin has been using a room a bit North of Vancouver (not going to mention what town) that's he's been renting from local legend and producer GGGarth Richardson where he's been doing a lot of work in addition to his own home studio.

Couple things about this post....

Greenhouse is still around. They have 2 SSL rooms in the building where Devin had a room. 1 is on permanent lease to brian howes, and the other is still doing regular bookings (I'd know, I worked there last week.)

Also, Bruce Fairburn has been dead since 1999 so I don't think he's going to be selling anything. HOWEVER, if the new owners of the armoury are putting it up for sale I would be very surprised, because that studio is generally very busy, and I know they just bought 10 neves from a split up console less then 6 months ago. And you are correct in saying it's one of the best drum rooms around, it's simply stunning.

And you are also correct about Devin renting the farm alot from gggarth....

Devin is the best producer I know.
The key is layering. Layer heaps and heaps of barely audible tracks and they will add up to something massive.

Forgive me, but I cracked up when I read this :lol::lol::lol:

ha, well I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just wanted to make sure the facts were pointed out...

Also, He did use the Sandfilled iso's while he had a room at greenhouse, because I know all the rooms feature those same boxes. It's also kind of an unspoken rule that everyone in the building uses them.

Thanks for pointing that out about Fairburn. I personally haven't tried this, but have also heard that selling something is made exponentially more difficult while deceased. Greenhouse isn't really Greenhouse anymore what with part of it being Van Howes and all that. And doesn't Ryan Dahle have his own room there too?

Interesting about the sand iso boxes, though. Never really tried anything like that before, but I guess I could see how it would be pretty effective.

Thanks for pointing that out about Fairburn. I personally haven't tried this, but have also heard that selling something is made exponentially more difficult while deceased. Greenhouse isn't really Greenhouse anymore what with part of it being Van Howes and all that. And doesn't Ryan Dahle have his own room there too?

Interesting about the sand iso boxes, though. Never really tried anything like that before, but I guess I could see how it would be pretty effective.

Yeah as I said Greenhouse still has an actual studio they do bookings out of and the second room CAN be booked if Brian is in LA or elsewhere. And yeah Ryan Dahle does have a room there and has the most insane guitar/amp collection ever....incredibly jealous.

THe iso boxes really work, probably better then most. The part that makes them pretty useless to anyone but commercial facilities is for a cabinet big enough for a 4X12, you're looking at a 5-800 pound box........

Next time I'm at Greenhouse, I'll ask the Levens Bros (owners of the studio/building).

From what I've seen, they essentially take some 1 inch thick 5x5 sheets of wood separate 2 of them with a 2x4 frame, and then fill the gap with sand. Then they fill the inside with think material and you're done.

That's a very simplistic explaination but I'll get some actually measurements.....

Then they fill the inside with think material and you're done.

Is this the think material you speak of?

Kannabia-Seed-Store-Soma-Seeds-Rock-Bud.jpg