Insane guitar tracking experience

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So, I've been tracking the rhythm guitars for the new Vanishing Point album with Chris, from the band. We were up to a heavy, typical 'djn, djn' section, and had just tracked two whole passes when I noticed something really weird.

One set of chugs was in almost complete mono. I wondered what happened... whether I'd accidentally hit record on the other track for a split second, or whether Cubase glitched etc. etc.

I decided to zoom in to take a closer look, and this is what I saw:

vpchrisstupidtight.jpg

Those are two, discrete, individual, unedited takes. They were both struck so identically that not only were they perfectly in time, but they were perfectly in phase, with near identical waveforms, resulting in double tracking that sounded mono.

:zombie:

haha yeah, can be a pretty strange "wtf?" moment when it happens the first time.
I think Erkan said something like he had that in every 2nd song during recording his album...I had that at 2 or 3 spots during recording rhythms too

^^ then it would just sound like a delay!
I've had this happen a few times here and there :) but yeah, retrace or ignore! Mostly retrack :p

I've seen the band live twice and yeah, not surprised at all. They can fucking PLAY.
Apparently this happens to Josh Middleton (the lead guitarist from the British thrash band Sylosis, he posts here every now and then) even with quad tracking.
I guess the solution would be to get the guitarist to drink two or three beers before they record particular riffs/sections :lol:

@hoehlentroll if you have two tracks that are the same, hardpan them and just shift one
about a few ms, it still sounds like a delay, just hard panned, it still sounds different.
tried it this way in the beginning and it never worked out, but I sucked to hard to record
the same thing two times :D

Yea i have had this happen a bunch of times with bands. I tell them they played it to good when it happens. Makes them smile and feel good.