Systematic Mixing Series #2: In Soviet Russia, Drums Slam You

Thanks a lot Ermin. Your whole series compiled in a .pdf would be absolutely awesome. I have a .pdf of the reaper user guide on my Ipod for reading absolutely anywhere and I think it has helped me learn the program inside and out. I would definitely read your series all the time though.

Wow, that's quite a bit of info! I appreciate the effort Ermz, I really hate mixing drums and can never get a snare going that i truly like. will come in handy for sure! :bowdown:

Cool. Do we have a consensus on where the phase section is incorrect?

I knew the aligning close mic transients to OH business wouldn't be up everyone's alley, but is that the extent of it, or is there more?

Thank you Ermin, you should really write a book! May I ask you how would you suggest to high pass the kick for fast stuff? Somtimes I high pass till 60 hz, when I feel there is too much sub, am I wrong?

If you're really wanting to align your overheads and room microphones with your close mic'd, you should consider moving the OH and Room tracks forward and align them to a central element of your drumkit (the snare or the kick), not the other way around (not moving the kick to the OH, then the snare, etc). Takes less time, sounds more natural, and is tighter (considering the drums have been already edited).

One more important thing to do though is to move the left or right oh and room microphones to make sure the snare is right in the center (if the microphones were not perfectly positioned you will have the snare coming up earlier in one of your track). Same applies to the volume of those.

Well, actually the reality of it is that you shouldn't physically move them but use your DAW's track playback delay to get this right. Two reasons for that: it's non destructive, and you have to do it once for your album instead of doing it for every song, at the risk of moving it slightly differently for each song.

Haven't finished reading though, it's sooooooo loooooooong :)

If you're really wanting to align your overheads and room microphones with your close mic'd, you should consider moving the OH and Room tracks forward and align them to a central element of your drumkit (the snare or the kick), not the other way around (not moving the kick to the OH, then the snare, etc). Takes less time, sounds more natural, and is tighter (considering the drums have been already edited).

One more important thing to do though is to move the left or right oh and room microphones to make sure the snare is right in the center (if the microphones were not perfectly positioned you will have the snare coming up earlier in one of your track). Same applies to the volume of those.

Well, actually the reality of it is that you shouldn't physically move them but use your DAW's track playback delay to get this right. Two reasons for that: it's non destructive, and you have to do it once for your album instead of doing it for every song, at the risk of moving it slightly differently for each song.

Haven't finished reading though, it's sooooooo loooooooong :)

Never understood why people wanna move drumtracks to phase align them tbh...
I think the mics should be positioned so that the snare is centered...and I also think the snare hits etc should be a bit later on the overheads, makes it sound more natural...bit like a pre-delay or something, it's an essential part of the room- and hence the drumsound IMO.
but I'm aware that many people are doing it differently....just never understood why.

EDIT: sorry, didn't read the entire thread....has all been said before, sorry for repeating it

yup i think if you HAVE to do anything, moving the overheads in relation to the most prominent sounds like kick & snare is the way to go generally, and also phase allignment and time allignment are slightly different areas that get blurred together in this subject, eg time delay cause by mics being different distances from each other and how long it takes for the sound to hit them, and phase/orientation of your mics, eg a snare top and bottom mic being 180 degrees phase inverted from one another - this is a pretty clear cut fix, you hit the phase invert button on one of the two pre amps and voila all should be well,
but what about when a mic is not 180 degrees out of phase but only say 90 degrees?
I guess the old skool way is to keep dicking about with your mics
a) and most importantly until it sounds good or
b) try a phase llignment plugin like
http://www.soundradix.com/
http://www.geardownload.com/images/screenshot/48089.jpg
http://www.geardownload.com/images/screenshot/48089.jpg
http://www.uaudio.com/store/special-processing/little-labs-ibp.htmlhttp://www.uaudio.com/store/special-processing/little-labs-ibp.html or the hardware version http://www.littlelabs.com/ibp.html

Ive never used one of these plugins but id certainly be interested in hearing any experiences anyone has with them.
As Ermz mentions I too would wholeheartedly recomend Glen Frickers acoustic drums metal guide as a companion to this drums section as it does contain some useful relative info that will help when i comes to the mixing

Univeral Audio Little Labs IBP is definitely my go to plugin when needing to work on phase. It's a very very nice plugin (to be honest, all UA plugins are great, without any exception), very useful, and can be used to abuse and sculpt your guitar sound (I mean in a creative way, not just to fix phase) when you have multi-mic'd cab.

Univeral Audio Little Labs IBP is definitely my go to plugin when needing to work on phase. It's a very very nice plugin (to be honest, all UA plugins are great, without any exception), very useful, and can be used to abuse and sculpt your guitar sound (I mean in a creative way, not just to fix phase) when you have multi-mic'd cab.

interesting thanks, ive been very tempted seeing as its only $99, But quite like the idea of the soundradix one too, i dont have time to try either out just yet but i will asap.