Systematic Mixing Guide: Following Progress

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I receive a fair few PMs, IMs, e-mails and all kinds of other messages asking when the mixing guide will be finished.

First off, the best way to stay current about the state of the book is by either following Systematic on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/ermin_h

Or 'liking' Systematic on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Systematic-Productions/123065227758305

At present the book is getting very close to completion. I've finished these chapters:

Introduction & mixing basics
Drums
Guitars
Bass
Vocals
Acoustic Instruments

and have yet to finish up these:

Synths
Master Bus Processing
Misc.

After the sections above are finished I'll be giving the whole book a once-over to ensure it's coherent. Then it will go to a proof-reader or two, and I'll start looking into ways to format the book for the end product. In the mean time I will also be looking at getting a cover designed in order to make the book visually distinctive. When all this is done, I'll compile the book into PDF form and use an online, 3rd party, safe distribution service to get it out there to everybody.

In the mean time, if any of you are graphic designers and are interested in creating the cover to this book, please get in touch via PM and tell me your rates as well as showing any prior, relevant work you have done.

Thanks! Will keep you posted via Twitter and Facebook.

The front cover would be a great start. I need someone to help me conceptualize it as well as executing the design. I haven't had much of a chance to think about it as I've worried mostly about the content so far. Do you have any examples of prior works?

For what it's worth, it seems very likely that the bulk of the content will be finished by the end of this week. This means that the proof reading and formatting stages will be accelerated forward, and I'll be looking to get this all tied together quite soon.

I can't wait for this! :D

I have a few friends who would be willing to help with designs and such, I'll put you in touch if you want.

To be honest I'm unfamiliar with those formats at this point. I'd rather get the guide out there as a PDF as soon as possible for the majority of people, and then look into those formats post-release.

Also, a small bit of news. I pretty much finished the first draft of the entire guide earlier tonight.

To be honest I'm unfamiliar with those formats at this point. I'd rather get the guide out there as a PDF as soon as possible for the majority of people, and then look into those formats post-release.

Also, a small bit of news. I pretty much finished the first draft of the entire guide earlier tonight.

PDF is cool, but if you're aiming at ebook readers too, it's better to release the book in an ePub and/or Mobipocket format. This way you'll have vast majority of the readers covered. THe only problem I've seen with these formats (when converting from .doc or even .pdf) is tables and I'm not sure whether these formats can handle them. Otherwise, it shouldn't be such a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it either, I have a kindle but I'd be more inclined to want it in PDF form - it'd just be easier flipping between that and a mix window on a pc to test stuff out.

That's definitely something we'll look at after formatting. At the moment it really hangs on whether I'll do the formatting myself, or employ somebody else to give it the 'full werks'.

Finally got a bit of a positive indication regarding the cover. My regular designer, Raziel, has gotten back to me and is kick-starting a concept, which is something that always excites me when he's involved. I need the cover to tie into the business theme in some way, so he's probably the best person for it.

can't wait! :D

If you sell a physical copy, I'll buy that. If not, I'll still buy an ecopy, but will you please include permission (for those who need it) for me to send it to a kinkos or something to print off an actual copy? I prefer to be able to have something physical on my desk that I can highlight and make notes on instead of ebooks. Thanks!