Inserts. In a DAW

sentinel72

May 14, 2009
I got my recording book in the mail.

Modern Recording Techniques - 7th Ed.

Anyway, I arrived at page 423 and its now talking about the art of mixing. And to start off we are looking at signal path thru the channel strip.

Which brings me to INSERTS.

Right after the input, is the INSERT section.

What do we use this for in a home recording DAW based world? (I dont follow what we'd use it for anywhere, but lets stick with home based recording via DAW for the sake of this post.)

INSERTS AND AUX SENDS. I understand the aux send section, But not the insert section...

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. :headbang:

I tried to explain this with words but I think a diagram might be easier to understand. The arrows show signal flow:

Picture1-2.png

Hope this helps. It's alot easier to learn this stuff if you've worked on an analogue desk to be honest. And if your DAW is laid out logically (like Pro Tools for example, inserts at the top, sends in the middle and fader/pan/mute/solo down the bottom, just like on an analogue desk)

In layman's terms when you hook up some stuff via insert (for insert typically: compressors, external equalizers, etc.) you alter the original signal which then goes to the eq section, then to the channel fader. Aux splits the original signal in two signals (which are like copies of original signal). And, unlike an insert point, it's placed after the channel fader, unless you choose AFL option which bypasses the channel fader (typically: monitoring).

That's really simplified tho. Also, that diagram is good. :)

Hope this helps. It's alot easier to learn this stuff if you've worked on an analogue desk to be honest. And if your DAW is laid out logically (like Pro Tools for example, inserts at the top, sends in the middle and fader/pan/mute/solo down the bottom, just like on an analogue desk)

That's the type of image that should be sticky-ed in a n00b topic.
Good explanation! I totally agree that once you've worked with analogue desks - the whole insert thing makes sense real quick.

Beware of the Pan Pot in ProTools / Logic though. Sometimes they are Post-Fader, which you'd not get in the analogue world.