insomnia

antiheroinc

Feb 23, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
okay, so this is the morning of day 3 of my most recent bout of insomnia.
hopefully my mind and body will catch up soon.
im used to not being tired since my doctor cut off my sleeping medication.
nothing works, i cant tire myself out at the gym, or get stoned/drunk enough to sleep.

any of you guys have trouble sleeping? what do you do? i may not have tried everything

I have trouble sleeping quite a lot. A few personal things which have worked for me are:

Reading a book in bed ( NO TV IN THE BACKGROUND)
Organize a routine. No matter how hard it is just do it. For example, get up at 7:30 am and actually get the fuck up. Whatever you do in between is your choice but aim for bed around 9/10 o'clock
Cutting out caffeine (fizzy drinks, coffee, tea etc) 4 hours before you aim to sleep.

Thats a few off the top of my head but they usually help. I'm not so bad anymore but I still find myself reading in bed from time to time!

okay, so this is the morning of day 3 of my most recent bout of insomnia.
hopefully my mind and body will catch up soon.
im used to not being tired since my doctor cut off my sleeping medication.
nothing works, i cant tire myself out at the gym, or get stoned/drunk enough to sleep.

any of you guys have trouble sleeping? what do you do? i may not have tried everything

out of curiosity, how old are you?

oh, that's right! ...you are 21?

i think if you are in pain... there is treatment. but afaik insomnia (or what you might think is insomnia) is completely normal.

anemia would be something to worry about (i think)... and if you were anemic, you certainly wouldn't be an insomniac. in most cases, insomnia is not fatal... this is why your doc cut off the sleep assist, because that could be fatal.

(your doc would be a jerk if he kept you on the meds).

solution:

go out! meet people, make friends that will stay up all night in a 24 hr diner with you and talk about everything under the sun! (that's what i did when i was 21).

sitting around worrying about insomnia isn't gonna make things better.

I dont have insomnia, but i do have massive sleeping disorders.
I go from not being able to fall asleep without twisting around in the bed for 5 hours to falling asleep as soon as the head hits the pillow, but instead i keep waking up every hour and falling asleep again.
Sometimes i sleep well every other day, but get no rest at all the other ones.

Next step for me is trying out the 4 hour method: You're never allowed to sleep more then 4 hours a day, under any circumstances.
This way some people manage to get some sort of rhythm in their sleeping, and they can increase to 5 hours, then 6 hours etc. until the problems start reoccurring, but then you know how many hours a night you can sleep.

I had insomnia when I was on heavy narcotics. I remember that they gave me a drug to sleep that was called Stillnox but it was terrible. Made me all dizzy and suddenly it was morning. It was like time warp. You don´t rest shit, you just skip the time. I remember waking up but my eyes were already open for who knows how long. It was like a robot that just turned on. One night was enough for me to gave up any sleeping medication.

My solution on the following days was basically go to bed with the notebook and watch non-sense japanese shit on YouTube until faint.

No insomnia here, but I apparently have delayed sleep phase syndrome. I just can't seem to sleep before like 3-4AM even if I'm really tired, which makes it difficult if I have to get up early. I have a described medication for it too, but it leaves a really bad taste to my mouth for the next day, and the doctor said you'll build a tolerance for it really quickly (besides it being really addictive too) so you shouldn't take it daily. I only take it when it seems impossible to sleep otherwise.

I have major insomnia , plenty of nights I'm up till like 4-5 am. My cure is to just say fuck it and stay up for 24 hours, there's no way you can't be tired the next night at a normal hour. Reset the body clock. Also I use PM pain pills and a noise machine when I can't sleep

When I was in my last exam period here at the medical school we had like 4 exams in 4 days. I always leave everything for the last day (like today for example :lol) and after several days of being awake studying for god knows how many hous, once I kept awake for like 35h or something. When I tried to sleep I couldn't...

What I mean is, the few times I really DO need to sleep I just take a pill (********** 0.5mg) and after half an hour I'm absolutely sleeping, in a very comfy relaxed and resting sleep. Of course it can produce tolerance really easy so I just take it when it's necessary to me to sleep ASAP.

oh, that's right! ...you are 21?

i think if you are in pain... there is treatment. but afaik insomnia (or what you might think is insomnia) is completely normal.

anemia would be something to worry about (i think)... and if you were anemic, you certainly wouldn't be an insomniac. in most cases, insomnia is not fatal... this is why your doc cut off the sleep assist, because that could be fatal.

(your doc would be a jerk if he kept you on the meds).

solution:

go out! meet people, make friends that will stay up all night in a 24 hr diner with you and talk about everything under the sun! (that's what i did when i was 21).

sitting around worrying about insomnia isn't gonna make things better.

im not in any pain or anything, it just bugs the hell out of me, ive had worse and longer experiences in the past.
the doctor cut me off coz i was taking them nightly, couldnt sleep without them, and i had built up a tolerance and was double dosing.

as for the whole friend thing, im a bit shortchanged on friends at the moment, im currently stuck in a small town with most to all of my friends living about 4 hrs away. so thats a bust.

i did just manage an hour of sleep, at least i think it was sleep, it seemed like a blink but the clock skipped forward about 50min.

im not in any pain or anything, it just bugs the hell out of me, ive had worse and longer experiences in the past.
the doctor cut me off coz i was taking them nightly, couldnt sleep without them, and i had built up a tolerance and was double dosing.

as for the whole friend thing, im a bit shortchanged on friends at the moment, im currently stuck in a small town with most to all of my friends living about 4 hrs away. so thats a bust.

i did just manage an hour of sleep, at least i think it was sleep, it seemed like a blink but the clock skipped forward about 50min.

i understand... when i was in college, i would have some pretty knarly labs. so for about 5 years i was forced to get used to sessions at 4am-10am... then class, then work etc.

it sucks to be sleep deprived. what's even worse is when you get used to the deprivation. then it becomes a sickness. but like i said... long talks can organize your conscious mind which will inherently resolve some of the sub conscious deprivation.

you say you live in a small town? i grew up in a very small town which was filled with people like yourself... so i made friends with them.

catch my drift? (unless, of course you live in a small town with a population of 100)?

i think you should give the diner idea a go.

in the words of radiohead: "meeting people is easy."

i understand... when i was in college, i would have some pretty knarly labs. so for about 5 years i was forced to get used to sessions at 4am-10am... then class, then work etc.

it sucks to be sleep deprived. what's even worse is when you get used to the deprivation. then it becomes a sickness. but like i said... long talks can organize your conscious mind which will inherently resolve some of the sub conscious deprivation.

you say you live in a small town? i grew up in a very small town which was filled with people like yourself... so i made friends with them.

catch my drift? (unless, of course you live in a small town with a population of 100)?

i think you should give the diner idea a go.

in the words of radiohead: "meeting people is easy."

unfortunately our town shuts down after midnight, one of the few things i actually like, usually when i go to the gym after midnight its just me and maybe a couple of truckers on the road. ive unfortunately gotten used to being on my own, whether at work shifting stiffs around or at home.

im trying to move to another city atm, hopefully start fresh

Never had insomnia until 3 weeks ago.

I feel tired and go to bed... just in the moment I'm about to fall asleep, I wake up rudely cause I feel I can't breath... it is a terrible sensation... over and over again in the same night.
finally I always end up sleeping at 3.00 or 4.00... and then I can sleep for 6 hours.

Normal insomnia is ok, my issue is that sometimes I cant sleep for days. As someone else said I am tired and I lay down but mentally I just can't get there. When I was in my early 20's it was really bad. I would usually be up for 2 days then sleep 1 then repeat. The longest stretch was 4 days up. And no, there were no drugs involved. I will say though that after being awake for 4 days when you do fall asleep its like the best sleep in the world

Never had insomnia until 3 weeks ago.

I feel tired and go to bed... just in the moment I'm about to fall asleep, I wake up rudely cause I feel I can't breath... it is a terrible sensation... over and over again in the same night.
finally I always end up sleeping at 3.00 or 4.00... and then I can sleep for 6 hours.

Might be sleep apnea, should get that shit checked out, can put major stress on the heart. Buddy of mine passed away from a sleep apnea related heart attack, granted, he had heart problems already. The development of apnea was what tipped the problems over the edge.

Might be sleep apnea, should get that shit checked out, can put major stress on the heart. Buddy of mine passed away from a sleep apnea related heart attack, granted, he had heart problems already. The development of apnea was what tipped the problems over the edge.

If it was apnea, it should appear all nights... I don't think it is, cause otherwise when I am drunk I should have those apneas and I don't.