instrument frequency spectrum pictures

parisowar

Sep 9, 2008
Could anyone please post pictures of each instrument frequency spectrum (using spectrum analyzer) after a good mix? That would be very helpful for many people. There is nothing standard but if we have two three good mixes to compare then we'll get the main point.
Please all the tracks seperately, drums, bass guitars, guitars, vocals

I don't see how a picture of the spectral qualities of certain instruments when summed would help people to mix.
You'd be better off looking at the mix window, imo.

Here's a general guide. But, it really depends on the source instruments in your mix.

main_chart.png

no you won't, one "good" mix could be completely different to another "good" mix on a spectrum analyzer. There are plenty tutorials and graphs on Freq range and characteristics of every instrument around the internet

This, if you take the spectrum from a complete different band using complete different chains it wont work on your stuff. It will simply tell you what that person did in that mix.

1. I think the OP was thinking for like a frequency analyzer, rather than the instrument's range.

2. It might not tell you anything about a good mix and all that, but I think it would be useful to compare the guitars, bass, vocals, and drums of a song to see how the engineer has sculpted them to fit together. Maybe there's a giant notch out of the guitars that the bass fills in, so when listening to the full mix you can't even tell that anything was cut. That sort of thing.

if you buy [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Audio-Second-science-Book/dp/sitb-next/0240808371"]this[/ame]... it comes with this:

bobbook.l.jpg

1. I think the OP was thinking for like a frequency analyzer, rather than the instrument's range.

2. It might not tell you anything about a good mix and all that, but I think it would be useful to compare the guitars, bass, vocals, and drums of a song to see how the engineer has sculpted them to fit together. Maybe there's a giant notch out of the guitars that the bass fills in, so when listening to the full mix you can't even tell that anything was cut. That sort of thing.

Exactly!!!!!!!
But anyway thanks to everyone for your replies....Now, could someone please post something with what i have asked? :)

Something I learned after several years is that mixing is not like playing tetris.

Many people will tell you that you have to find the instrument its own space. It's definitely right but the wrong approach is to find that place visually.

Meters help to an extent but they're just going to confuse you. For example, everything fits perfectly in the meter but sounds weak, flat, overpowered... That kind of problems we use to see sometimes that suck.

Mixing is not a visual tetris. Mixing is playing tetris with the ears. Try to rely on your ears and ignore the meters as much as possible.

Something I learned after several years is that mixing is not like playing tetris.

Many people will tell you that you have to find the instrument its own space. It's definitely right but the wrong approach is to find that place visually.

Meters help to an extent but they're just going to confuse you. For example, everything fits perfectly in the meter but sounds weak, flat, overpowered... That kind of problems we use to see sometimes that suck.

Mixing is not a visual tetris. Mixing is playing tetris with the ears. Try to rely on your ears and ignore the meters as much as possible.

Never said that this would be my alpha to omega guide and i will not use my ears. Never said that mixing is tetris or you can learn how to mix without practising this for hours and hours...I just said it would be helpful if someone sent some examples, nothing more...

Never said that this would be my alpha to omega guide and i will not use my ears. Never said that mixing is tetris or you can learn how to mix without practising this for hours and hours...I just said it would be helpful if someone sent some examples, nothing more...

Well, it's helpful if you want to analyze ONE mix. It won't be helpful if you try to see how the "good mix" looks like in an analyzer since every mix is different on its own. If you approach all your mixes in the same way, you'll be just killing your creativity.

IMO this is more about trial and error, expermimenting with things and being ready to break the rules very often.

Um hello? Just looking at a frequency analyzer won't give you much detail into why the elements of a mix fit together. There could be compression and sidechaining going on that a FA won't show. Then there's possible distortion/clipping techniques, Transients don't last forever on a spectrum, and also, you'll need both before and after pics, which doubles the time someone needs to take.

What you're asking is ludicrous.

Anyway guys thanks for ur reply. What i noticed is that nobody wants to share such an information and this makes me suspicious... :p

Listen you little shit can't you realize what you're asking for is completely pointless? Plus, Morgan gave you a valid idea in case you wanna try it and kill your curiosity. Everybody said it, I' not gonna repeat it, and it doesn't make you "suspicious", only stubborn and retarded. Now get off the forum and go mix an album

Listen you little shit can't you realize what you're asking for is completely pointless? Plus, Morgan gave you a valid idea in case you wanna try it and kill your curiosity. Everybody said it, I' not gonna repeat it, and it doesn't make you "suspicious", only stubborn and retarded. Now get off the forum and go mix an album

i guess you are the kind of guys who have big balls online hahahahaha. Why don't you stop reading this thread asshole.

Sorry to the rest of the guys for this. It seems there are morons who cannot take jokes