Instrument to xlr cable signal loss?

kladdkaka

Aug 7, 2009
I've just bought a pair of Adam A7 monitors and just noticed that they only have xlr input, however my interface only has ordinary 6.3 mm jack plugs. Does anyone know if I get any signal loss if I use a xlr to 6.3mm cable between them or if I'm better off running the signal through a mixer.

And just a tip from the ring of sleeves:

Balanced jack = stereo jack ;)

"balance" is referring to identical impedance at the source load.

trs cables are typically used for mono, not stereo, signals.

for instance: near/far field reference monitors.

"balance" is referring to identical impedance at the source load.

trs cables are typically used for mono, not stereo, signals.

for instance: near/far field reference monitors.

Yeah, but if you want it balanced from a 1/4" source to XLR input, you must use a stereo jack despite the signal being mono. Hence my tip ;)

Eg. using a cable with: stereo 1/4" TRS -> mic cable body -> XLR male

I've looked around everywhere and can't find a balanced to xlr cable, they just dont seem to be around, and can't really understand why a mono can't be used since the signal out would be mono (would it?)

I've looked around everywhere and can't find a balanced to xlr cable, they just dont seem to be around, and can't really understand why a mono can't be used since the signal out would be mono (would it?)

One line is used for balancing, while the mono signal goes across the other wire.

Here's one:
http://www.thomann.de/uk/cordial_cfm_9_mv_klinkexlr_kabel.htm

It's 9 meters though. Just search for "cordial cfm mv" and you'll see various lengths.

I've just bought a pair of Adam A7 monitors and just noticed that they only have xlr input, however my interface only has ordinary 6.3 mm jack plugs. Does anyone know if I get any signal loss if I use a xlr to 6.3mm cable between them or if I'm better off running the signal through a mixer.

All you're doing is using a cable with a different connector on each end. It's not going to effect audio quality.

Routing your signal through a mid-low end mixer on the other hand, will have a negative effect on audio quality. Due to all the eq's, faders, pan pot's etc that it has to go through before it hit's the monitor.

this thread is a facepalm. Can the terminology be anymore confused. fuck

Get 2 of these cables ->

XTRSM-M.jpg

They make XLR to TRS cables. In fact I have one for my DI, bought it at guitar center.

The whole terminology is fucked in this thread, but to simplify, TRS can be used for both unbalanced stereo, or balanced mono. A fun fact is that XLR only works on balanced/unbalanced mono, unless we are talking about AES/EBU digital audio which we are not. The if a TRS cable is connected to an XLR on the other side, that means that the cable is designated for balanced mono applications.

you could use a TS to XLR for the monitors, but as mentioned, you will have a 6db loss in volume, this is because both the cold (-) and ground connections will be tied together.

The difference between balanced and unbalanced. Balanced has a separate ground, and cold (-) terminal. The ground is used to reference the +/- connections, unbalanced TS just has a hot (+) and a ground. A TRS for stereo uses both the tip and ring as a hot (+) and both grounds are tied to the sleeve.