Instrumental (Axefx, Metal Foundry, Sturgis Snare, djent?)

TheRealSam

Serial Riffer
Dec 28, 2008
Wattrelos, France
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, long time no see!
Well I just bought a new pc and wanted to try Nuendo 4 out, so I quickly recorded this song, I just wanted to get some feedback on the mixing and mastering, I definitely feel like it sounds better than my previous mixes, but I'm not sure if my ears aren't "corrupted" by spending too many hours struggling with this song. Also, I tend to have a slight problem as you can hear sometimes in the song, when I play on lower strings, the higher ones tend to ring out, should I put a sweatband like I saw some other guitarists do, or change my picking technique a bit, like try to place my palm in a way that'll mute the strings (I tried but it gets kinda tiring, and puts my wrist in awkward positions)? Anyway, here's the stuff, hope you like!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1009264&songID=11285275

Last edited by a moderator:
I really really like this mix. Very unique, especially for the genre. I'm just listening on shitty speakers atm, but the snare seems a little thing, I would augment it with one of the fatter snares from MF. The kick is a little boxy and tubby, scoop some 200-400hz. The toms also need some work, too boxy, scoop them. The guitars sound really good, I'll offer more comments later on a better system.

I like the drumsound, details? What snare is it?
The only thing I can think of (listening on crappy speakers) is the overall sound could be a bit more glued together..

Thanks :) Drums are Metal Foundry except for the snare, which is triggered through drumagog. It comes from Joey Sturgis's website ahah. Yeah I know what you mean, but how can I make everything sound more "together"? Add compression? Lower something?

Thanks :) Drums are Metal Foundry except for the snare, which is triggered through drumagog. It comes from Joey Sturgis's website ahah. Yeah I know what you mean, but how can I make everything sound more "together"? Add compression? Lower something?

I listened to it on a better setup and it still sounds good..
I guess it's the guitars that make it sound a little bit static..
You could try using a compressor on the masterbuss or/and paralell compress the bassguitar with the bassdrum, so you get a little more dynamic going..