Instrumental Death Metal Mix

HRdrummer

Jul 17, 2012
I posted over six months this same track but ended up scratching it and rerecording it and I need some ears to tell me if it sucks :)

Its for my bands first EP and its also my first truly serious recording, so any and all advice, tips, and trick are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:Did the link from my phone so I'm not sure if it came out right.

Guitars were Jackson Rhoads. One was the top model with a Blackhawk in the bridge and the other was the mid range model with an invader in the bridge.

Amped with a BBpre > peavey 3120 rhythm channel > B52 AT-412 cab > SM57
uteha3ud.jpg

6y3esuhe.jpg

Leads and solos are Lecto in the orange setting switching between raw and vintage with redwirez mesa cab with a 57 on edge 2" and 121 center 6" away.

Bass is just DI with a bit of EQ and compression and Decapitator for some dirt. Bass rider for leveling.

Snare drum is 50/50 sampled top and bottom with a sample I took after tracking.

Kick is sampled 100% with a kick from the revelation kicks pack (can't remember off the top of my head)

Toms are natural with some eq and compression.

Lots of parallel comp used throughout the drums.

My kit and the room I tracked in.
zahane4u.jpg

VCC on everything.

Master has VCC, SSL Comp, VTM, and ozone 5 for some top end eq and limiter.

My apologies for all the info if no one really cared to know ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the biggest problem is the bass, it really sticks out sometimes in a really unpleasant manner. I always have two bass tracks, one is lowpassed at like 300-400 Hz, use that for sub, and the other one is highpassed at around 600 Hz and lowpassed at around 4 KHz, and then distort it. I often use the same amp as on my guitars to dist, haha. Then compress both tracks to hell and back to stop it from "jumping out the way it does now. At least that's my approach as of now.

Secondly, I think the drums need some eq'ing, try to focus each part more into it's dominant region, and take away all the junk that is clouding the mix. Then compress it a tad more.

Guitars sound pretty good to me, at least what I hear. The mix is quite unclean and messy, but I think it has a potential to be really awesome!

I would say the biggest problem is the bass, it really sticks out sometimes in a really unpleasant manner. I always have two bass tracks, one is lowpassed at like 300-400 Hz, use that for sub, and the other one is highpassed at around 600 Hz and lowpassed at around 4 KHz, and then distort it. I often use the same amp as on my guitars to dist, haha. Then compress both tracks to hell and back to stop it from "jumping out the way it does now. At least that's my approach as of now.

Secondly, I think the drums need some eq'ing, try to focus each part more into it's dominant region, and take away all the junk that is clouding the mix. Then compress it a tad more.

Guitars sound pretty good to me, at least what I hear. The mix is quite unclean and messy, but I think it has a potential to be really awesome!

Thanks for the advice! I tried splitting the bass into two parts and it did help alot with controlling the low end. I had to highpass the living hell out of it though. My speakers almost shit the bed haha

I updated the OP to show a new link