Instrumental Folk Metal

Hurblegeebie

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2008
Hi guys, I've been searching around for more of this type of music, but I haven't come up with much. I've lurked this forum for awhile so I figured I'd try asking here.

I'm looking for something similar to Drudkh-Songs of Grief and solitude, Borknagar-Origin, Burzum-Hlidskjalf, and Agalloch-Mantle.

I mainly want stuff with no vocals, but with vocals is fine too. Any recommendations would be appreciated =D

It seems like you're just looking for folk music. None of the albums you mentioned are really metal (with the exception of The Mantle which can be argued as being metal).

Also, it's not instrumental if it has vocals. :lol:

Anyways, Ulver - Kveldssanger is the closest I can think of to what you mean. There's probably more I haven't thought of but, unfortunately, laziness gets the better of me.

Er. Cba to check out the stuff you posted but assuming that you mean sorta neofolky kinda shit.. Ann'Sannat/Werkraum/Unto Ashes/Sonne Hagal/Ulver (I forget name, the acoustic one)/Två Fisk Och En Fläsk/Of The Wand And The Moon/October Falls/Neun Welten/Nest/In Gowan Ring/Forseti/Death In June/Darkwood/Current 93.

there are many instrumental Neofolk bands
there are essentially no instrumental Folk Metal bands.

but here's a few individual songs at least which are all instrumentals...
Falkenbach - Gjallar
Korpiklaani - Pellonpekko
Korpiklaani - Juokse Sina Humma
Halgadom - Metamorphose
Nomans Land - Ale
Nomans Land - At the Odin's Feast
Turisas - Katuman Kaiku
Wolfchant - Growing Storms
Shaman - Mu Sieiddi (Part III)
Suidakra - Dead Man's Reel

Er. Cba to check out the stuff you posted but assuming that you mean sorta neofolky kinda shit..
the stuff he listed is all black/folk metal if I recall those bands rightly... but yea a lot of us like both genres, so what the hey eh.

Ann'Sannat/Werkraum/Unto Ashes/Sonne Hagal/Ulver (Kveldssanger)/Två Fisk Och En Fläsk/Of The Wand And The Moon/October Falls/Neun Welten/Nest/In Gowan Ring/Forseti/Death In June/Darkwood/Current 93.

:kickass: (my favourites in bold)

I'd add Belborn, Orplid, and definitely Tenhi.

This probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I've really been digging it lately, so...

Eluveitie - Spirit

Has some intrumentals, most with vocals, roughly 50-50 mix of folk and metal instruments. Some songs are mostly folk, though. None are pure metal. Most folk metal draws on black metal, but this has more of a death metal influence...cool. They have a full time hurdy-gurdyist, so they're awesome.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks guys.

Oh, and I'm well aware that an instrumental doesn't have vocals...