Interesting article on guitar wood

The results are more or less what I expected : not over dramatic difference, however the difference is noticeable. The koa sounds smoother and darker than the other 3 by far, for example !

I think one of the reason why this debate keeps going is that rarely do I see any testing that includes different types of pick-ups. Some pups, especially actives can sound pretty much the same no matter what you put them in. I think this is why you see one camp saying wood makes a huge difference to the sound and another saying that they don't hear much difference.

I used to be in the don't hear too much difference camp but I also used to be an EMG user, since moving to passives I hear much more of a difference.

finally something more scientific.

I think the main reason why there's so much misconception about this, is something that was also stated in the article: seldom will 2 guitars from the same model sound the same by default.
So it's hard to get a grasp on where the difference you hear comes from.

And yeah, emgs might play into that as well. Although I wouldn't say it makes every guitar sound the same to put, for example, an 81 in there, there's more difference with passive pups, generally.