Interface + Additional Mic Pre's?

westonreed

New Metal Member
Feb 28, 2010
I currently have a Toneport UX2 and the mic pre's are shit so I am in the process of choosing my next gear. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the ProFire 2626. However, I saw a suggestion on an earlier thread that recommended buying a used Digi 002 + an additional mic pre, such as an OctoPre LE. Or I suppose I could buy the 2626 in place of the Digi 002 and still get the OctoPre (or preferrably the OctoPre MKII Dynamic).

So anyways, my question is, is it worth the extra money to buy the interface (ProFire 2626 or Digi002) and then also buy an additional mic pre (OctoPre LE or MKII Dynamic)? Or should I just go with the ProFire 2626 and stick with it's pre's?

I know choosing interfaces and such is ultimately a preference-based decision, but I am just curious on the benefits of buying an additional mic pre. Other than the fact that there will be more pre's.

The (non-modded) Digi002 is horseshit imo, so definitely go with the 2626. Additional preamps only make sense if you either need more channels or want a "colouring" preamp, like API 3124+, Great River, UA 610, Neve, all their clones, etc.. The Octopre's preamps are no better than the Profire's so that makes no sense at all if you are buying them to get a higher quality.. only if you need 16 inputs with pres.

Pretty much all preamps in the entry to mid level interfaces are decent and don't make a difference really, except for really shitty ones like in the 002 :lol:
Even the very expensive ones are very subtle in their differencies.

I'm upgrading my 002R for something else this year. It's somewhere between an 896 / Saffire 56 or RME 800.

The pre's are okay, but when I compare them to my octopre le - there is a real difference. I prefer the ocotopres.

Remember, if you're using the two units together - the preamps are AS WELL as the Digi ones. So 002R + Ocotpre gives 24 channels of input. So only spend the money if you want that many channels.. or you'll need to expand before you upgrade.

Ok, yeah I thought that was the only real benefit and I only need 8 channels at the most in order to record drums so I have no need to go that route. I added a few to my list though and I really like the Saffire 56, specifically their liquid preamp feature, and also because I've always heard good things about Focusrite preamps so I think that is going to be my choice. Anyways, thanks for the advice!