Interface change Profire vs. Saffire

TonyS.

www.SoundCollab.com | www.risingstorm-music.com
Feb 13, 2010
Berlin
www.soundcollab.com
Well ,

I can't say anything about the focusrite . never used one before . I have the profire 610 and dig it . it has decent pre's . I have an LA 610 MKII and an ART Pro channel so I never use them (I like a compressor after my pre) . I did test them out when I got it and I thought M-audio put some pretty good pre's in this thing . Octane's I think . Also the AD/DA is very good for it's price point . The build is like a tank , It's mostly metal and tuff and the knobs are rugged and can take some abuse to . I think it looks cool , much better looking and better build then many other AVID interfaces .

I have heard of people that have had some sort of software bug with the drivers and latency reporting incorrectly , something like that . Check over at the AVID forums . I have had ZERO problems with mine .

Best of luck in your search :kickass:

I'm having major issues with the 610. I think it has the same pre's as the 2626. If you go on M-audio forums, you can see the pages of complaints. Something to do with the loopback test. I'm actually about to post samples regarding this. It almost sounds out of phase when I record 2 tracks of guitar (i.e 100%, 75% for one guitar) It sounds hollow. I posted a song and I used TSS, X30, Impulses with nothing but HP and LP, and all comments were "Wow man, sounds really scooped" So I don't know know where the issue could lie. I'm just throwing that out there...I don't know if the 2626 has this problem either.

I have the Profire, but I'd vote the Saffire. My Profire sounds great, I get no phasing issues like the prior poster described. But the knobs have all started to break - ie.. just the plastic caps. They function fine, but are loose... bit annoyed by that.

I like my Profire 2626, EXCEPT for some BSODs (that a lot of people report). Looks like a driver issue. It happens when switching the driver, i.e., when I minimize Reaper and the blue power light blinks, or when the DAW finishes rendering a project, or anything like that. I'd really like a more stable interface.

Hey guys,

hank you all for your answers. I didnt found out, which preamps are the best...but I think I will go with the Saffire 56 and a MK-2 Channelstrip from UAD.

Im very wary of the driver problems of the profire.:confused::confused::confused: ....but the possibility to use Protools M-Powered would be nice. Today I'm going with Cubase 5.

I love my Saffire Pro 40 tons of routing options, very easy to use interface. I really like the Pre's. I do TONS of re-amping with it without a reamp box and have no issues :)
Ho do you do this? Saffire Out --->AMP ---> No porblems?
What do you think about the 56 one?