Interface question

iambillylange

Jan 21, 2011
Toledo, Ohio
i will be getting a new interface..i have the line 6 gx which i bought basically for pod farm and to use as a dongle when i get a new interface...i am debating between the presonus firepod and a few focusrite products...the advantage of focusrite is i can buy the pro 24 now and save a few bucks with the ability to be able to buy either the presonus ds8 (?) or focusrites similar 8 mic pre later and light pipe those into the pro 24...if i buy the firepod it doesnt have an adat input so thats not an option which kinda sucks....the most id ever be recording is drums so 6-8 inputs is what i need right now...should i just get the firepod or save some money now and get a focusrite pro 24?....is there anybody who has experience with either of these?

save and get the one with more inputs, you be pissed you didn't if you ever want more than 8 channels, and eventually you will

well thats what im saying later on i can buy 8 mic pres and have a total of 10 inputs...are you saying i should get the interface with 8 now like a saffire 40 then add on 8 later for a total of 16 inputs

well i guess i shouldve been a bit clearer...im planning to do drums in the near future...not at the moment...as i have a ton of musical equipment, plugins, reason 5, and cubase 5..but i do not have monitors yet so i was hoping to get an interface and monitors at the same time and not have to get anything cheap because of a budget....so would you recommend me getting monitors and a pro 24 with the ability to add on later or the pro 40 and a cheap set of monitors....i really dont wanna skimp on the monitors

well i guess i shouldve been a bit clearer...im planning to do drums in the near future...not at the moment...as i have a ton of musical equipment, plugins, reason 5, and cubase 5..but i do not have monitors yet so i was hoping to get an interface and monitors at the same time and not have to get anything cheap because of a budget....so would you recommend me getting monitors and a pro 24 with the ability to add on later or the pro 40 and a cheap set of monitors....i really dont wanna skimp on the monitors

Always Always Always improve your monitoring before getting other gear (if possible.)
Monitors First. Then Interface. Then Preamp.

As far as your interface question-
Profire 2626 really is the way to go for a mid budget interface. They are only $560 at Sam Ash (As opposed to $700 everywhere else.)
Then I'd get a Digimax D8 or something like that as add-on.
But if you can, get the best pre possible in your budget.

After spending a few days at my Uncles.
Who does a lot of studio drumming work from his little studio.
I must say all my concepts of NEEDING 8+ inputs have been thrown out the door.

His 6 mic set up(one mic for BOTH floors) sounds AWESOME.
Some of the best natural drum tones I've heard.
Although, he is using a beautiful Peace kit and Paiste 2002's all round.

You don't NEED heaps of mics to make a kit sound good.
What you need is a good kit and good mic and tuning technique.

That being said.
It is nice to have a lot of mics.
But I think alot of people throw mics at the kit and expect this to make up for their lack of skill.

/endrant.

EDIT: Also, I just picked up a 2626 off ebay for $460 with shipping. cheap.

i would love to upgrade monitors first but my gx has one 1/8 inch headphone output on the back so i just have computer speakers hooked up to it now.....as of now i am leaning towards the focusrite pro 26....does anyone have a preference as far as presonus over focusrite or is it all the same in the price range im in?