Interface Repair?

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
I'm sitting on a busted 2626 at the moment, it's fine but the firewire chip was hotplugged. M-Audio were bought out so it's hard to find info on where I can get it fixed. Anyone able to give some info?

Akai bought M-Audio.
If the interface still works then you're fine. When a Firewire device gets damaged from hot plugging then it will stop connecting to the computer.
I'm not familiar with the 2626, but I was recently reading up on Firewire and the design flaws. The problem seems arise when the device is powered from the Firewire bus. When it's hot plugged it can cause spikes in the voltage the damages the firewire receiver chip. I suspect it's something to do with the ground being disconnected before the voltage line. This isn't a problem with devices that have their own power supply.

The device works but won't connect so I'm 95% sure it's hotplugged and fried the chip. Seems daft to buy a whole new interface when one small component is broken.

Man, my old Profire 2626 probably has the same problem. I contacted M-Audio and they told me to look for the local (brazilian) office. Their support was less than useless and so were all the places I called or emailed.
So I'm still looking for that chip or the entire PCB, named CB32-204. Good luck for both of us!