Interface Upgrade - How much will it improve my quality (converters)

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
I'm at the point where my home studio needs an upgrade. I'm running a shitty tascam US122L and I know it lacks in the quality department. So I'm wondering, If I go with something from focusrite (in the $200-$300) how significant will the improvement be in regards to the converters.

I know there's a lot of variables but let's say i duplicated myself and did the same exact mix with those two interfaces, would there be a noticeable difference? And if so, where would I notice it the most? Is there more of a sheen to the top end, some sort of clarity?

US122L is one of the shittiest things out there. I heard a big difference going from a digi 002 to Profire 2626.

There more clarity, things sound more real, you make better decisions. The Tascam isn't much better than what's built into most laptops besides the i/o connections.

Thats what I was hoping for. I had a real feeling that it was holding me back. I just didnt know how the upgrade would translate into the actual sound. My mixes lack a quality that I cant seem to get past and i'm hoping that upgrading will set me in the right direction.

World of difference over here going from the Presonus Firepod to the RME Fireface, you get what you pay for, of course you can't buy experience