Any need to upgrade my FP10?

guitarded88

Jan 25, 2009
Waterloo/Brampton, ON
Am I really missing out? I got the thing for like 200 bucks cause it was the best I could afford at the time (previously was using a Tascam US-122).

Reading people rave about the Fireface though makes me feel like I'm missing out on something spectacular.

Yes I do run into the occasional problem with the Presonus, but they aren't THAT frequent on my macbook pro (once in a while I'll need to reset it, due to pops and cracks occurring randomly on certain preamps). But I just record myself and my band, so its not like im pissing off clients or losing money by having to deal with the occasional glitch.

Soundwise... would I notice an upgrade to a better interface? In terms of preamps, AD and DA converters, outputs for reamping?

Someone tell me i don't need a better interface!

I noticed a difference (good) when I upgraded from a firepod (not the fp10 model) to a profire 2626.

So my answer is yes you will.

Same here. I thought it was all placebo, since I thought playing back music sounded considerably better, but then my girlfriend noticed it too without me mentioning it, so I guess there really is a difference.

Lol thanks everyone.

Not the answer I was HOPING to hear, but you know... it's good to know.

At least I know what's the next piece of gear to save up for.

:)

The girlfriend test is gold... if my gf notices I know I must have changed something pretty significantly

If you don't like the the continuous urge to upgrade every single piece of your gear, you picked the wrong hobby/profession/obsession :lol:

Hahah I know. I just spent almost $2k on my guitar rig (new amp, new pedals and a new guitar at the beginning of the summer). Got everything finalized (except the pedaltrain i got was too small :mad:, and I want some better cables).

I thought I was safe!! At least for a while. But now that I'm back in recording land.... the cycle starts all over.

If you aren't able to upgrade right away, look at upgrading your DACs. I noticed a conciderable improvement after I started using the SPDIF output on the FP10s and going to the SPDIF in on my JBL LSR monitors. I doubt these monitors have the best DACs in them, but it is definitely better than using the analog outputs on the FP10s.

You might look at the TC Electronic BMC-2. You can get them for a decent price, and I hear the converters on them are really good especially at that price. Plus, it's just a handy piece of gear to have in the long run even if you update your interface later.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2.asp

In fairness the fp 10 is like 1/3rd the price of a fireface and you've to buy external pre's to get up to 8 preamps. There's definately going to be a noticeable difference between the two.

And btw, FP-10 and Firepod is exactly the same unit (beside the name). Presonus just re-named it.

Yea, i actually own a firepod... but its been upgraded to an fp10. Actually bought it off a Sneapster 2 years ago for like 200 bux.

If you aren't able to upgrade right away, look at upgrading your DACs. I noticed a conciderable improvement after I started using the SPDIF output on the FP10s and going to the SPDIF in on my JBL LSR monitors. I doubt these monitors have the best DACs in them, but it is definitely better than using the analog outputs on the FP10s.

You might look at the TC Electronic BMC-2. You can get them for a decent price, and I hear the converters on them are really good especially at that price. Plus, it's just a handy piece of gear to have in the long run even if you update your interface later.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2.asp

Thanks for the tip. That looks pretty awesome... I love the fact that you can just hit a button and it goes to a preset SPL. I would guess that ‘cause it’s TC Electronics the DACs would be top notch as well.
Keep in mind I’m using KRK RP-5s though, I’m thinking my next monitoring need is a sub...

In fairness the fp 10 is like 1/3rd the price of a fireface and you've to buy external pre's to get up to 8 preamps. There's definately going to be a noticeable difference between the two.

I know, I know... I guess a better question would have been “Can I get away with using the FP10 or should I upgrade before I do a whole bunch of recording for my band.” Or “Does the difference in quality justify the extra $1000 to a guy who’s already spent too much on gear.”

I know I’ll need to upgrade eventually, I just didn’t know if I was wasting my time with the FP10.

I’ve done recordings I’ve been very happy with already, but sometimes it’s hard to see how much a piece of gear is holding you back.