International freight services ('ship' shipping)

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

Did any of you ever used some international freight shipping services, like Fedex, UPS, DHL ones ? I want to buy a 4x12 cab and prices in price in Brazil are absurd (over $2.5k for a Mesa cab). I quoted a few companies to ship one to Brazil by air and all of them cost between $600 and $900 which is almost the price of the cab itself. So I was think of using non-air services to ease a bit the costs. Anyone ever tried such methods ?

Ive used USPS to ship things to Australia before. Most of the time UPS/Fedex charge a whole lot more. But I don't get what you mean by non air services? If you're going to get a cab from a different country like the US its going to have to be shipped through a plane

Assuming you want stuff from US shops, your best bet is to contact someone in the US (a brazilian) who specializes in importing stuff into your country, by air cargo. I'm sure there are people, you just got to find the right person/online community. I've recently received shipping offers (through mail) from PayPal. Might be worth looking into too.

I suffered A LOT before I finally found the right guy, now we're even friends (did that sound gay or what)

Forgot to mention,

Avoid DHL LIKE THE PLAGUE. Bastards charged me $50 dollars for shipping a 2.5 millimeters square chip thing that cost me 10 bucks to buy and import from Japan into the US (not next day delivery or anything special like that, just their ''basic'' service).
I was working the day they came home with the delivery, they called me the next day saying they forgot some extra charge, upped the fair to some 80 bucks (or something like that). Then, they called again that very same day, the same operator girl, about a half hour later asking for even MORE money! The nerve..

I can't recall being remotely as fucking pissed off at a phone call like that afternoon.. :mad::mad::mad:

Long story short, I ended up having to pay them around $150-200 dollars -the chip was cheap :p but hard to come by, since it had to be ordered from Japan through a store in FLA (which was cheap, but took time/calls/emails).