Internet Crime

@Jester: I'm working at the Quality Department of Citibank in Barcelona, so I'm quite close to frauds regarding banking operations through the net. We manage complaints of all sort, so if you tell me what you need, I'd do my best to inform you.

|ng.

Dark_Jester said:
Salami: Excellent information, and its good to have the exact definitions as well. I can definitely use what you've given me, thank you :)

No worries mate :)
Of course the fact that I have been called a hacker by someone who
knows the terms doesn't make me bias ;)

Dark_Jester said:
Ok, from this information, I think I'm going to go down the identity theft, fraud and cracking route for this paper, taking into account the paypal scheme Jack mentioned, and how the crackers worked on it. Thanks very much for your feedback everyone :)

In that case you definetly wanna check out attrition.org.
Plenty of mischief listed there.

I will get some more links once I am home, tho I think
attrition is one of the best sites reporting incidents,
even if they are a bit original in their design ;)

agree with CoT: for a coursework, don´t try to cover everything or solving the worlds problems at once (I tend to try that, so I know what I am talking about.) You get too easily stuck in the amount of information/topics to be provided.

VultureCulture said:
well, identity theft and all that may not be a huge thing right now, but i bet it will be. once things like digital signatures become more common and used, there will of course be people trying to fake/hack their own or other identities.
Yep. I think that will become more and more problematic. Just think when everything is information in computers, than on paper, like disease-history and medicaments on chipcards, your buyings can be tracked by using cards or internet payments, you can do your bank account from home, your travelling is monitored through e-visas on passport card etc.

Also the planned passports, with fingerprints or even systems which identify people through checking their eyes, though they may have advantages, if someone once gets access to all your digitalized personal information and plus, people believe that those methods are safe, victims hardly can defend themselves, when others use their identity. Then you can´t say anymore that: It wasn´t me, cuz I wasn´t at this place. Then they will say, but we have the patterns of your eyes, it must have been you.
Very scary.
Even more scary when I think that people could murder others, take their identity by fingerprints and whatever, and impersonate someone else :ill: (of course not in normal life, but for security systems and transactions)

I for once, I am not pleased that so much information is around about the persons, and I don´t have any customer cards of shops and so because already of this they can merge personal data and what you bought and so they have a ton of valuable information about the customer.
Already enough can be tracked because I often pay with card, does´t need to become more...