Report: File Swapping Boosts Music Sales

mehdi.i.e.e.e

New Metal Member
Feb 28, 2002
Here's an article i found on Yahoo.

peace,
mehdi

Peer-to-peer file sharing advocates received a boost in their ongoing battle against music industry executives Friday, when Jupiter Media Metrix (Nasdaq: JMXI - news) released a study indicating that Internet file-sharing traffic volume actually increases music sales.

The research firm found that 34 percent of all peer-to-peer file-sharing users said they dole out more money for music than before they started swapping tunes online, although 15 percent of file swappers admitted to purchasing less music.

About 50 percent of respondents said they spend the same amount of money as they did before they started using such services as Kazaa, Morpheus, Gnutella (news - web sites) and Madster.

Don't Fight the Swappers

In contrast, the study found that only 19 percent of respondents who do not use file-sharing services said they now spend more money on music, while 10 percent said they spend less. A majority -- 71 percent -- said their spending habits have not changed.

The report also noted that broadband Internet access via cable modems and DSL (digital subscriber line) services, along with the proliferation of recordable CD drives, have not impacted consumer music spending to a great degree.

Aram Sinnreich, a Jupiter analyst and the report's author, told news sources that the Internet is one of the best things that could have happened to the music industry. Instead of trying to fight file trading, he said, the industry should focus on making money from it.

Revolutionary Findings Unlikely

Ryan Jones, media and entertainment analyst at the Yankee Group research firm, told NewsFactor it is difficult to measure consumer spending habits over a substantial period of time. Instead, he said, users should be asked questions at specific milestones over a recent time period.

"It's very easy for consumers to associate recent events with something they may or may not have been doing over a longer period of time," Jones said, noting that asking people to do so can skew results.

Jones added that broadband adoption probably has not influenced consumer music spending to a great degree because it still represents a small population. However, he said, he believes widespread use of recordable CD drives has affected the industry.

"CD sales are unquestionably affected because virtually every PC shipped within the last 12 months has been sent out with a CD burner and applications to burn CDs," Jones said.

RIAA (news - web sites) Disputes Impact

The Recording Industry Association of America, the long-time advocate and trade association for music industry artists, record labels and other industry insiders, has long contended that such services as the once-popular Napster (news - web sites) cut deeply into 2001 CD sales by between 5 and 10 percent.

Hilary Rosen, president and CEO of the RIAA, said earlier this year that while the economy and September 11th both affected the music industry, Internet downloading also had a negative impact on sales.

"When 23 percent of surveyed music consumers say they are not buying more music because they are downloading or copying their music for free, we cannot ignore the impact on the marketplace," Rosen said, referring to the RIAA's own study on consumer spending in 2001.

Unbreakable Networks?

Yet according to Jones, despite record label and RIAA lawsuits such as the one brought against Napster, peer-to-peer networks will continue to proliferate as long as there are eager code writers.

"For every [peer-to-peer system]that gets knocked down, there will be another one that pops up," Jones said.

And until all the legal questions are sorted through, he added, "the record industry will continue losing money."

heres my veiws on the music industry

its a capitalist bag of tripe run by people with no intrest other than making money out of the artists

i refuse to pay £15- 20 an album when often less than 1% goes to the band themselves

i support bands by seeing them live and increasing there popularity by telling my friends how amazing they are

and now they are copy protecting cds which can damage computer

why dont we all abandon cd's and have the bands sell music direct to people over the net surly the bands would make more money than by going through record companys

Originally posted by da_masster
why dont we all abandon cd's and have the bands sell music direct to people over the net surly the bands would make more money than by going through record companys

hey that's a good point there mate! good idea.

peace,
mehdi

and no more record company manufactured bands either.

of course bands wouldn't be albe to get big through radio play as the record companys control the airwaves.

which maybe wouldnt be a bad thing there are way to many over inflated egos in the music industry

under www.marillion.com, in the press room and the hp in general you can check out some very interesting points to do it "another way". By the way they´re making damn good music.

What I think on prices: Damn, I´m not a poor swine, but ´Cd´s got pretty expensive in the last years, so that the price makes you think twice to buy a CD of a band, you don´t know to much about. Most times I do not! Also I hate I hate all those major-labels with their fucking strategies. But that´s life...
What I cannot accept is the way, record companies go there to offer some of their stars 90 million $ multi album contracts like Mariah Carey or Janet Jack(ass)son. Or the promotion Britney gets famous with. Therefore´s always money enough. And then they´re rising prices higher and higher afterwards complaining that haven´t enough record sales. I no longer support this for any interpret eho is responsible for that. Examples? U2, R.E.M, Depeche Mode and some more. The above metioned don´t come to question, clearly...

Selling through the band will be a future!

Cheers now ;-) , Beyond...

Bands should become more independant anyway. Most bands become complacent when they start makin a bit if cash. You have to blame the bands for letting labels spend their money for them and being too lazy to sort shit out. Its easy to set up a label, especially when you have some sort of following. For a touring band it is the perfect situation as they can sell CDs at gigs. The music business scene is embarrasing. Anyone ever been backstage at a big festival? Full of nobheads showing as many laminates as possible. :lol: wankers

i always wondered if it was that expensive to set up a promo trip or to have an advertising campaign. i'd like to know how much goes to the artist, how much go to taxes and how much go the label when you pay 25€ for one CD.

labels are good for beginning bands, if they pay studio and stuff. but once you're big enough, i guess you can set it up yourself, deffo.

peace,
mehdi

Ok...my slant on it is this: the sharing of files over the internet is having a detrimental effect on record sales (album sales overall went down by 5% last year). BUT...this is basically telling record companies that they have to sharpen up. Of course people are going to download the songs they like if buying them on CDs is quite so extortionately expensive. CD sales have been kept disproportionately high by the fat cats for the last god knows how long...as a demonstration of this look at the peaceville back catalogue: £9 a pop and still profitable. Screw the rich bastards who think that that isn't enough.

some very good points there. i look to the day when there is no more contract and we can look after ourselves. then we may be able to do things properly.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
you know stephen king is selling a book of his on his own website. now thats a start. i dont know about you guys but books in turkey have become VERY expensive?

here there are some expensive ones, but you can get old books at ridiculous prices like 0.50€ =)

hmmh might be a quite difficult task to solve...

independence? very difficult. i know from marillion that it works. they´re the biggest internet-selling band, but they´ve got a lot of freaks in their back.

but to quote it with a statement of the recently interviewed Geddy Lee of rush: (translated) "...it always tended in that direction, but in recent times one can´t overlook, that responsible person in music-business more and more don´t know anything about the music itself. Actually big companies exist only of businessmen, lawyers and their employees. For people who really love music, there´s almost no space anymore. These guys then go to the more independent labels. In those labels for me there is the future for good and honest music..."

great eh,...? Geddy is a tough guy! A musician who thinks about...

Anathema should follow this way...this is their place.

greetings, Beyond.