Interview and pics from Gigantour

Lisa X

New Metal Member
Aug 17, 2005
Hi All, I had the great opportunity to interview Jeff Loomis when Gigantour came to Portland. I've received permission to post this here along with some of the pictures that I had the chance to shoot.

Enjoy!

On a warm sunny day in August of 2005 a band of busses rolled into town that would change Portland, Maine and revive what had lay dormant, waiting to be awoken in the hearts of many. The thirst for live Heavy Metal! On this day I had the most pleasurable opportunity to conduct interviews and to spend some time with Jeff Loomis, one of the most talented musicians in the pack. My point of this interview was to try to get a peek behind the scenes. Many can ask the questions about the current music that’s being played and how musicians feel about the 95th note of the 4th track of the current CD. My mission was to simply spend some relaxing time, to find a little bit about who he is, and to share it with you. Thus, the following:

Interview with Jeff Loomis of Nevermore 8/19/05

Lisa: What do you think has been the best part of the tour so far or what have you enjoyed the most?
Jeff: Just probably being around all of the killer musicians that are on the tour really is just the coolest thing. You know, like being surrounded by great guitar talent seeing as I’m a guitar player myself like Theater and John Petrucci and being able to watch him play every night, learning things from him. Also Mike Romeo from Symphony X who is also an amazing guitar player, and Christian from Fear Factory. So just being surrounded by a really good musicianship is really cool plus the diversity of the whole package is really awesome as well because every single band is really different. You’re not seeing eight bands that sound exactly the same, that’s the really cool thing about the whole package which I enjoy.

Lisa: Do you have a contract where you ask for any unusual type of foods?
Jeff: (laughs) Not really, no. I mean, we keep things real simple. Our catering is very basic. We don’t ask for anything out of the ordinary. It’s really simple for us.

Lisa: Ok, here’s a tough one, or maybe not, what’s your biggest touring nightmare?
Jeff: Hmmmmmmm, biggest touring nightmare. Let me think if anything strange has happened on this tour. I would say when I break a string on the first song or something like that. Because most of the time my guitar tech is changing strings you know, from show to show but our set is so short that sometimes he doesn’t. Sometimes bad things can happen like that. On this tour I haven’t had anything bad luck happen to me.
Lisa: I’m sure though that you have another guitar all ready in case something like that happens though.
Jeff: Oh yeah, yeah, get it quick, but I don’t like breaking guitar strings. That’s my pet peeve and sometimes it happens to me, and it’s not fun! (laughs) Running off to the side of the stage and getting a new one is a nightmare.

Lisa: What’s the weirdest or most interesting thing that you’ve had thrown at you onstage?
Jeff: On this tour I haven’t had anything thrown at me but somebody threw a quarter at me in Florida. It hit me square in the forehead (laughing) and it almost knocked me out, he must have thrown that thing very hard because I didn’t know what it was and then I looked down and saw it rolling around on the floor. I was like, “what the hell, what is wrong with people?” What else have I had thrown at me? I’ve had a beer thrown at me, just stupid things like that. You just gotta keep on playing your show, you know?

Lisa: How do you feel about the reaction of the crowd when you’re playing in Europe as opposed to the U.S.?
Jeff: It’s different I mean, our popularity is a little bit bigger over in Europe, you know what I’m saying? But I think that a tour like this is going to bring us to the next level. We’re playing in front of a lot more people in arenas and amphitheatres on this tour. Nevermore is mostly used to playing in smaller venues that hold like 500 or 600.
Lisa: Yeah, I see you guys advertised as playing at the Palladium in Worcester.
Jeff: That’s a really great venue by the way, that’s awesome, nice P.A., and it holds what, like 2000 people? Playing in front of so much more people like this is really going to push Nevermore to the next level I think. The timing couldn’t be more perfect, our album just came out, our video just came out, we’re going to be on Uranium on Monday. We’re performing every night so I mean there are good strong factors to sell records.

Lisa: This is also going to filmed for DVD in Montreal which I’m sure that you’re well aware of.
Jeff: Well, they’re actually filming every day. We were the first band that was filmed for it. The production team took us all out, I can’t remember what city we were in, but we went out for the whole day and they filmed us and interviewed us. They’ve been doing that with every band on the tour. Basically it’s kind of like a documentary kind of thing of what goes on.
Lisa: A look behind the scenes.
Jeff: Yeah, and then they’re filming live songs and stuff as well so it’s going to be quite amazing. I think they’re going to film a lot of the Canadian shows because most of them are sold out. It’s going to be absolutely nuts! That’s coming up very quickly and we’re really excited about it.

Lisa: What about a headlining tour in the near future?
Jeff: Of course, we’re going to come back for a headlining tour it’s just that after this tour is over with, which ends September 11th, we have two days off and then we go to a headliner tour in Europe. So that’s a big production thing for us there, it’s going to be really huge. Sometime hopefully after that we’ll come back and headline to the United States. Because, I mean, we have 6 or 7 albums out and we’re only playing only 25 to 30 minutes and it’s really hard to figure out what we’re going to play every evening. Some people want to hear the older stuff but we’re here to promote our new record so we’re trying to concentrate on playing at least 2 or 3 new songs off of that.

Lisa: Jeff, it’s been a pleasure talking with you. Wishing you the best with the new album and I’m waiting to see you back here in the states headlining soon. I do have one last question, it’s an interview final question tradition.
Jeff: Ok
Lisa: Boxers or Briefs, which do you wear?
Jeff: Boxers or Briefs? Ohhhhhhh! Boxers or briefs! I wear briefs actually. (laughs)
Lisa: Yes, that’s the classic final question of the interview. (laughs)
Jeff: I thought you said something else there for a second!

(It’s up to all of you to decide what he thought that I had just said, and for the record, I’ll never tell)

Nevermore’s new CD is “This Godless Endeavor”. After Gigantour they will be touring with this masterpiece.

Run, don’t walk, to your nearest music store, pop the CD in, and enjoy. You won’t be disappointed!

Pics:

Jeff.jpg

JeffandVan.jpg

TheBoysinAction.jpg

Warrell.jpg

Van.jpg

D214004-R1-071-34.jpg

Lisa

ms. anthrope said:
cool! do you have a site online?

I actually belong to another metal site of which many like Nevermore. As soon as they get my interviews up (did one with Russell Allen of Symphony X also ) I will provide a link. I was antsy to get this here because it's been over two weeks so I asked Wendy if I could post it.

Lisa

Thanks, nice read...great pics! Hey John...you ever been hit by something at show? It hurts and it's not funny. I got hit with an apple core doing like 70 friggin' hurt! :ill: Let's not go all $haron

I wasn't saying that the quarter hitting Loomis was funny.. I was referring more to the thrower, who was obviously in an intoxicated state and mistook Jeff for a jukebox or a wishing well perhaps..

John Gargo said:
I wasn't saying that the quarter hitting Loomis was funny.. I was referring more to the thrower, who was obviously in an intoxicated state and mistook Jeff for a jukebox or a wishing well perhaps..

hmm do I hear a Dio reference in there? :tickled:

I wanna know what Loomis thought you said. [sublinibal part of post] You will PM me the answer. I will be thankful... and I sware I won't tell anyone...[sublinibal part of post]

Nice interview! Looking forward to the DVD. Hope Nevermore can do one of just them though.

King Chaos said:
I wanna know what Loomis thought you said. [sublinibal part of post] You will PM me the answer. I will be thankful... and I sware I won't tell anyone...[sublinibal part of post]

Nice interview! Looking forward to the DVD. Hope Nevermore can do one of just them though.

LOL

That was very cute. I have to tell you the one thing that I always promised myself when I began doing interviews is that integrity is worth it's weight in gold. For that reason when I do an interview and someone tells me that they are saying something off the record, it is indeed that. If I ever make my mark on this great earth that's one of the things that I would like to be remembered for. It might not sell product but they know that they can trust me and relax.

Lisa