Interview in Sweden Advice

sprack

Thread Killer
Apr 13, 2002
Norrköping, Sweden
www.krnlpanic.org
I need some more advice from the Swedes on the forum. I have a series of interviews next week, for an engineering position in Luleå, that I'm flying out for.

1) What's normal interview dress like for tech positions there (Sweden/northern Europe)?
2) Any american mannerisms I should try to filter to make a better impression?
3) What's there to do in Luleå? Especially if the interviews go well it's likely I'll be living there soon.

1. Have no idea about that...
2. I don't think so, just be normal and it should be fine!
3. Hunt some moose and bear, drink beer (especially Norrlands Guld, which I find horrible but taste is personal) and watch ice hockey. In general it's really cold winters there, just so you know.

Otherwise I can just wish you good luck :)

1. Use casual clothes, well dressed but not overdressed.

2.well americans are usually very good at doing an confident impression but don't be to cocky haha.

3. Well north of Sweden is cold as fukk and up there its winter 9month a year so have fun haha.

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I still need some clarification on #1. What's considered casual there? Austin is laid-back by US standards, I did my last interview here in t-shirt and jeans. Would boots be ok to wear or too Texas?

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I still need some clarification on #1. What's considered casual there? Austin is laid-back by US standards, I did my last interview here in t-shirt and jeans. Would boots be ok to wear or too Texas?

That almost depends on how the employer sees it. For me it could be a little bit too much Texas. Go with a nice shirt, jeans and just regular shoes. Not any tuxedo because that's probably what crillemannen was referring to overdressed.

T-shirt, jeans would do aka rock style kinda. You can really dress whatever in Sweden but people don't tend to use suite's if they they don't need to for work, like work in a bank etc.

different styles, for a Swede look haha:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_K5LrjvM0n...ashion+Inspiration-Style-Street-Men-Women.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_K5LrjvM0n...nspiration-Fashion-Street+Style-Men-Women.jpg

haha. I couldn't pull that off.

I am looking forward to the cold though. Looking at a Fjällräven parka.

You're looking forward to it now but wait until you actually will experience it. Then you'll just be irritated by how cold it's. I live in the southern Sweden and that's just perfect for me (yes it's a big difference).

1) Jeans and T-shirt, just something you're comfortable in so you're relaxed. I'd skip wearing a band-shirt, though.
2) Don't be surprised by the lack of guns. Don't say you're bringing Freedom™. Don't be scared about people not talking to you or not sitting next to you, in fact, expect people to be "shy", we're weird like that. But I'm sure you'll be fine.
3) You can.. I don't know.. pet some reindeers.. that's about it..
Honestly, I have no idea, never been to Luleå.

Lack of guns is actually a plus. There's a surplus of people here with a IQ/guns ratio < 1.

How common is joking in regular work conversation? It's kind of important here in the sense that a person with a good sense of humor usually makes an easier fit for the group, but is that still an aspect that's appreciated in general conversation there or is it strictly business? I realize that might sound odd, but they've specifically said that one of the interviews will be cultural and I'm aiming more at trying to be cognizant of social norms than to fit in.

I am looking forward to being back though. It's been 4yrs since I was last in Sverige and it'll be a chance to see family, the most northern of whom lives in Arboga.

Luleå is quite nice in the winter if you're an outdoor person. It's very cold though, nothing like the climate south of Stockholm. Don't expect your favorite bands to tour north of the capital... I think you'll do fine, I'd go with jeans and a shirt or something like that, this wont be the deal breaker.

this to me is crazy... here in the US the rule of thumb is to always wear a suit regarding of the companies dress code. basically there is nothing that can go wrong by overdressing. dont get me wrong though - i wish i could wear jeans and a t shirt to interviews and client meetings. although i have been to sweden in the winter and i cant say i am jealous about that part of it :p

A suit would be seen poorly in most tech companies here in Austin, button-up shirt at most. Definitely jeans or chinos. I think I have enough to go on dress wise.

So when am I allowed to start complaining about systembolaget closing too early?

this to me is crazy... here in the US the rule of thumb is to always wear a suit regarding of the companies dress code. basically there is nothing that can go wrong by overdressing. dont get me wrong though - i wish i could wear jeans and a t shirt to interviews and client meetings. although i have been to sweden in the winter and i cant say i am jealous about that part of it :p

Here in Sweden people live somewhat by "Law of Jante":

1. You're not to think you are anything special.
2. You're not to think you are as good as us.
3. You're not to think you are smarter than us.
4. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than us.
5. You're not to think you know more than us.
6. You're not to think you are more important than us.
7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
8. You're not to laugh at us.
9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Of course people don't live by these exact rules, but basically wearing a suit to a job interview would seem like you're taking your self way to serious(Although it depends on what job you're applying for i guess.).

The culture of "jante" isn't really as bad as it sounds though, its really only in the redneck parts of Sweden where people really live by it.. but if you have any self respect what so ever, you stay the fuck away from there. :lol:

1. I would say that shirt and jeans is a typical outfit to a Swedish engineer. Depending on the business (engineering is quite broad), t-shirt might come of as a tad too loose. Luckily, our dress codes are flexible.

2. Put emphasis on facts and all-round education in your field, rather than speaking to highly of your own qualities. There's a balance though.

3. Hopefully you enjoy nature. Real winter is great, though. Summer and hot weather is way overrated.

I fly out tomorrow morning. Thank you to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I feel much more comfortable about that aspect of the interview. I have been cramming like mad for the technical gauntlet in the meantime.

IMG_5729.JPG

I think it went well. Heading back sunday. Thanks for all the advice.

I assume it's not uncommon, but don't tell them. Find a polite way to say that it's non of their business. Don't let them have the advantage.

Google a bit for some salary negotiation tips. There are bad tips also, so use what you find as an idea pool, not as instructions.

EDIT: Just realized the last sentence applies to this post also. :)