Interview with Scott

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Interesting bit in this interview from Scott.

Q: You mentioned the show at Yankee Stadium. You were one of the Big Four of thrash with Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer. When Metallica crossed over like they did, was there any thought in the Anthrax camp like "We could do that; we could be the next ones to have that big crossover like they did"?

A: I never thought that way. Metallica just made a record that connected with humanity. Right place, right time, right album. I don't see it as them doing anything different. They were just being Metallica. That's like saying when Guns N' Roses put out "Appetite for Destruction," they crossed over. No. People just connected with the record. It could have been any Metallica record. As far as I'm concerned, it could have been "Master of Puppets." It could have been "Justice." It was just kind of the right place at the right time, I think. And no, we never thought like we could do the same thing, because you can't, you know? If you tried to do something, you would just fail miserably. You either write songs that just come organically or you shouldn't be in a band.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo...an-worship-music-metallica.html#ixzz1XZ5qgg3V

Interesting bit in this interview from Scott.

Q: You mentioned the show at Yankee Stadium. You were one of the Big Four of thrash with Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer. When Metallica crossed over like they did, was there any thought in the Anthrax camp like "We could do that; we could be the next ones to have that big crossover like they did"?

A: I never thought that way. Metallica just made a record that connected with humanity. Right place, right time, right album. I don't see it as them doing anything different. They were just being Metallica. That's like saying when Guns N' Roses put out "Appetite for Destruction," they crossed over. No. People just connected with the record. It could have been any Metallica record. As far as I'm concerned, it could have been "Master of Puppets." It could have been "Justice." It was just kind of the right place at the right time, I think. And no, we never thought like we could do the same thing, because you can't, you know? If you tried to do something, you would just fail miserably. You either write songs that just come organically or you shouldn't be in a band.

He is full of shit with that statement. I don't care what he may say in an interview. He certainly isn't going to say 'yeah we were trying to capitalize on the mainstream rock fans like Metallica did" He also says he loves Joey and this and that. Can't trust a word this guy says.

Well I think Scott has a point here...Anthrax was kinda big back 1991 - they were playing huge arenas (with Public Enemy). POT was a success. So if they were after more success they would have done POT2. They chose a different approach...

T:)

didn't know that Anvil was a big influence on early Thrax like Scott said in an interview, i'm a big Anvil-fan and saw them play in a club for 100 people 11 years ago, Lipps jumped off the stage and walked into the crowd while playing his guitar, how much more true, more underground & more metal can you get? their new album 'Juggernaut Of Justice' is pretty good by the way.

Saw them at Sweden Rock Festival...yeah they are true believers of their own doing.

T:)

What he says about Metallica is pretty much true, but Metallica were trendsetters that time. Many bands tried to follow them like it or not.