Introducing someone new to Opeth...........

Eugenics

Oct 7, 2007
I am thinking of giving the guy 2 albums, but deciding which ones has had me on a rat wheel.

I originally thought that Still Life and Blackwater Park would be good starts, since they both have a decent balance of acoustic and heavy and both have fantastic guitar harmony.

But in the likely event that he hates growl vocals, I figured I'd throw Damnation into the mix. It is seriously a very hard album to hate, and it almost never misses with people. So yeah Damnation is my choice.

So basically the question is which one? Still Life? Or Blackwater Park?

I want to know which of the 2 will have a more instant appeal to first time listeners and while your at it I guess we can throw GR into the gauntlet considering that's a pretty accessible first listen.

Any suggestions?

I would say Blackwater Park, if only because of the song Harvest. Almost everyone I have listen to the song likes it a lot; it is easily their most accessible song. The chorus for Bleak would also go down easily for first time listeners.

I agree with Blackwater Park. It is certainly easier for those less familiar with the death metal aspect of Opeth. But who knows, they may grow accustomed to the death growls. I know that I certainly weren't into them when I first heard death metal all those years ago.

Don't give him Blackwater Park, it's the band's weakest album. Still Life may be too complex a start, so why don't you introduce him to Ghost Reveries, with its perfect production, amazing contrasts between death metal and pop prog?

my first tracks that really got me hooked were 3 from bwp, drapery falls, bleak & Blackwater park itself. then 3 from Ghost reveries, Ghost of perdition, beneath the mire, reverie/harlequin forest. then a couple of random others (deliverance!) . While still life is an awesome awesome album, the bwp + ghost reveries ensures a good introduction.

Make him a custom mix of what you think he'll like. Try to include songs that showcase the band and the bands talents. Include mellow songs.

Example:

1. When
2. White Cluster
3. The Drapery Falls
4. In my Time of Need
5. Ghost of Perdition
6. To Bid Your Farewell
7. Masters Apprentice
8. Godhead's Lament

Personally, I HATE introducing someone to some music I listen to. Mostly because everyone tries to base their over-all opinion on the very first listen (mostly negative), and that gets nowhere. Especially when it comes to complex music such as Opeth. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are people who are always open to new music and give something recomended few more spins...But still, I'm very reluctant when it comes to that.

Make him a custom mix of what you think he'll like. Try to include songs that showcase the band and the bands talents. Include mellow songs.

Example:

1. When
2. White Cluster
3. The Drapery Falls
4. In my Time of Need
5. Ghost of Perdition
6. To Bid Your Farewell
7. Masters Apprentice
8. Godhead's Lament

You really want to start it off with When?

Have you not SEEN that baby video? :p

Personally, I HATE introducing someone to some music I listen to. Mostly because everyone tries to base their over-all opinion on the very first listen (mostly negative), and that gets nowhere. Especially when it comes to complex music such as Opeth. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are people who are always open to new music and give something recomended few more spins...But still, I'm very reluctant when it comes to that.

Sometimes it works though. A couple of years ago a buddy of mine gave me a Radiohead cd, (which I almost didn't listen to because of Pablo Honey, from back in the day), and now they are my favorite band.