Introducing someone new to Opeth...........

I cant enjoy stuff like Opeth if there´s someone other in the same room that doesn´t enjoy it. Like if i´m watching the Lamentations dvd and a friend who doesn´t listen to Opeth comes by. Then i´m constantly thinking,oh this part he wont get at all.

BWP is what got me hooked. but you could give him MAYH and Damnation to show him the balance of their music.
First, I really wouldn't even consider introducing an Opeth beginner with MAYH, it's far too dark and evil-sounding.
Second, while Damnation might very well be a VERY smooth introduction (I know it was for me), the last thing that it shows is the balance of Opeth's music. There's not even one moment of heavy guitars or harsh vocals on it, which are a prominent aspect of Opeth's music.

Unless you were being sarcastic and I just made a fool of myself :lol:

I was introduced by Deliverance :D
Didn't like it that much on the first listen, though - It was the first time I came across Death Vocals :S

I'd choose BWP and Damnation for sure.

Ghost Reveries would be a fine start. Then perhaps Blackwater Park or Deliverance. Alternately some sort of mix from all of them. A friend did that for me and that led me to buying all of their albums.

Considering how nobody said Still Life, I will go with BWP. It is a very fine choice, and was also my introduction to Opeth because I didnt give MAYH a chance at the time yet. This guy's a musician, so I'm pretty sure he will have a more instant appretiation for Opeth's music than others I've showed Opeth to.

BWP is indeed a good choice tho. The Leper Affinity is very headbangable, Bleak is very everything, Harvest has an awesome chorus, and The Drapery Falls has something everyone can love. I didnt go past track 4 for months. Those tracks alone did the trick.

Making a mix is a good idea. However, I think I'm already smothering the guy cuz I'm burning 2 Devin Townsend cds along with them.

He gets:
Opeth- BWP
Opeth- Damnation
Devin Townsend- Synchestra
Devin Townsend- Ocean Machine

He's getting hooked up. I wish people would introduce me to good shit like this.