ipad after the hype

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, about a week ago the iPad arrived in Brazil. I think it is a cool gadget, but I never felt it was one of those things that really helped, but i also never used one :lol: It really looks to me like a bigger and more functional Palm sort of thing. It has an place between an smarthphone and a notebook, but I can't see so much use for so much portable stuff.

But how about you guys, after the initial hype, how do you feel about the iPad? Is it really uselful ?

Ivan

When I first heard about the iPad I said "that's fucking stupid." Then saw some videos and said "still stupid, but kinda neat." Then I played with one in the Apple store and said "alright it's kinda cool, but fuck that price." Then a friend of mine got one and I got to play with it several times and now I want one, haha. It's just a mutant iPod Touch. I want one for friends and clients to use while they are here to play on the internet and shit, plus I have a ton of games on my iPhone that will transfer over. I wouldn't personally take it with me outside of the house anywhere, but that's just me, I'd like it for friends/clients to use and for me to use when I'm downstairs away from the computer. A lot of people think they are stupid or useless until they actually get to play with one a few times, it grows on you. Even my friend Ryan who absolutely hates Apple and everything it is, completely ragged on the iPad when it first came out - after playing with our friend's now he even wants one.

I loove mine. I have an app on it that lets me use it as an external computer screen, so I put the pro tools mixer on that and it works as a touch screen surface. I use the whole rta suite at work all the time too. I actually take the iPad out of the house more than my laptop now. Plus if you buy the camera kit, the iPad will accept a usb interface and you can do some basic recording on it for ideas and shit. Granted its a lot of money but imo it's well worth it.

We have one at work and it's pretty cool and as more apps get made it will get cooler. Yamaha made an M7 control app and the fader response is fantastic and we have a few RTA and tone gen apps as well that are useful as well. The most off putting aspect to me personally is that it doesn't use a real OS but I suspect that is the reason it's so reliable/responsive in comparison to netbooks I've used.
Ultimately I'll put it where I put most apple products: More expensive than I want it to be, but well done and worth the cost to certain users.