(ir)religious stuff

the bible is just a hoax, written by someone a few hundred years ago... just stories

next thing you know, people will be trying to follow books like lord of the rings etc religiously, or even fables etc

Niklas said:
the bible is just a hoax, written by someone a few hundred years ago... just stories

next thing you know, people will be trying to follow books like lord of the rings etc religiously, or even fables etc
:erk: That's not the point dude.

Almost all the villains in the bible have red hair.
(OMG Redhead Messiah u_u,,)

It was only after 440 AD that 25 December was celebrated as the birth date of Jesus Christ.
(Santa Claus' birthday u_u,,)

Kerimaki Church in Finland is the world's biggest church made of wood.
(Suomi!)(Kyllä kylläää)

Pope Adrian VI died after a fly got stuck in his throat as he was drinking from a water fountain.
(Very ":Smug:")

The youngest pope was 11 years old.
:)Smug: )

The useless information about Religions for today :D

@Wazoo: You should follow the Way of Mrs. Cosmopilite, wonder woman she was. For it is written: "You shouldn't post a single line without thinking twice about it". :D

@Vulture: Prior to looking for answers it'd be wise to set some questions. You said you're a quite scientific person, which means to me that you follow a more or less strict logic way of thinking. So, what kind of questions are you after?

@Niklas: Even when the Bible is not an historic book (just an apologetic mostly metaphisical book), it give us valuable historic references from the time it was written. Of course, nothing to do with holy truths or fishing techniques. :)

|ng.

|ngenius said:
@Niklas: Even when the Bible is not an historic book (just an apologetic mostly metaphisical book), it give us valuable historic references from the time it was written. Of course, nothing to do with holy truths or fishing techniques. :)
yes. moreover, i find it kind of hard to assess what a "hoax" would actually be in this case.
those who believe in the validity of the bible contend that it was inspired by the will of god. this is rather difficult to disprove, as noone actually ever assumed the almighty had used his most holy hand to personally put pen to paper, or quill to parchment, or stone to rock.
so it was written by a scholar. and? its value (again, for those who believe, not me) is in the concepts therein expressed, not in the act of writing.

the idea that the bible was not inspired by god cannot be proved any more than the idea that it was. and while i agree that the burden of proof lies on those who might want to prove the latter, it is also obvious that it is a matter of faith, not logical demonstration.

With most people nowadays, though, the issue isn't where the bible comes from, but what its writings mean. Some of the people who stubbornly believe they are the most righteous and religious are those who interpret the bible very literally. People who believe there was an actual man made of dirt who God called 'Adam', or that it took God exactly 7 24-hour days to complete the universe... even thought the concept of a 'day' and an 'hour' was invented afterwards.
Some real value contained in the bible has to do with important moral teachings that should apply to anyone, regardless of belief or religion; just common sense attributes like respect, love, and integrity; things no religion should have to tell us but are unfortunately lacking in this world often times.

MagSec4 said:
Some real value contained in the bible has to do with important moral teachings that should apply to anyone, regardless of belief or religion; just common sense attributes like respect, love, and integrity; things no religion should have to tell us but are unfortunately lacking in this world often times.
Well said. I try to look for the good moral values, because I think that's really what it's all about. I joined a Bible discussion group in college where we just analyzed what the messages in the Bible were saying, and I learned a ton about the world, and how the mind works.

Well, i think it is not completely head over hills. There is something quite feasible in the cartoon. Noone knows for sure how exactly did it all happen, so any guess, especially, that consolidates universal morals, will do good. Joseph Smith being among Mormon Jesus and Elohim at the Final Judgement was hilarious though. %)

Well, i think it is not completely head over hills. There is something quite feasible in the cartoon. Noone knows for sure how exactly did it all happen, so any guess, especially, that consolidates universal morals, will do good. Joseph Smith being among Mormon Jesus and Elohim at the Final Judgement was hilarious though. %)

I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch the video. I do know somewhat about the mormon religion and in my humble opinion it is at best very silly and at worst a complete crock of crap. They claim to believe in a book that was handed down by god through some guy that lived in an American desert in the 19th century. It professes intolerance (to homosexuals), polygamy (which though now no longer practiced was an excuse to have sex with as many women as you wanted), various other infringing evangelical practices based not even in ancient text but just because some guy made it up and people wanted to believe in it (but hey, I guess that's all religions, which is why I'm an atheist I guess). I normally don't go outta my way to dish on religions but Mormons stick out for me (like Scientologists, but for different reasons) just like the Roman Catholic church does, because they attempt to affect necessary social reform (i.e. homosexual rights, birth control, abortion etc etc etc). This is inexcusable, because religions with money (like corporations with so much more money) do not deserve the right to influence government and people who do not willingly adhere to the religion. Its indicative of a bigger problem. :Smug:

I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch the video. I do know somewhat about the mormon religion and in my humble opinion it is at best very silly and at worst a complete crock of crap. They claim to believe in a book that was handed down by god through some guy that lived in an American desert in the 19th century. It professes intolerance (to homosexuals), polygamy (which though now no longer practiced was an excuse to have sex with as many women as you wanted), various other infringing evangelical practices based not even in ancient text but just because some guy made it up and people wanted to believe in it (but hey, I guess that's all religions, which is why I'm an atheist I guess). I normally don't go outta my way to dish on religions but Mormons stick out for me (like Scientologists, but for different reasons) just like the Roman Catholic church does, because they attempt to affect necessary social reform (i.e. homosexual rights, birth control, abortion etc etc etc). This is inexcusable, because religions with money (like corporations with so much more money) do not deserve the right to influence government and people who do not willingly adhere to the religion. Its indicative of a bigger problem. :Smug:

Well said, and you forgot to add racism towards basically everyone who is not… white. You should watch the video, the part where they mention black people is very funny (due to the stupidity of it all). The whole video seemed like an awful joke to me, but curses, it's real. It's similar to the people of North Korea, they're so brainwashed they'd believe anything.

I should probably add that they have changed a lot since the late 70's. They have edited out all (or at least a lot of) the blatantly racist parts and I think they've dropped some of the most ridiculous alien stuff.. but I'm not too well-read on mormon...ism(?)
Still.. the video is pretty awesome.

ThreadNecro.jpg

^&^^ I disagree ...

I'm not a bible scholar by any means
I was raised as a catholic and had 12 years of education at private catholic schools
its a wonder I'm not fucked up more than I am after that
my question is,
in the bible
is there anything about dinosaurs or the orbits of the planets?
A person might think that if the bible was the know all
word of god, he/she might have mentioned something about
past and future knowledge -