(ir)religious stuff

Malaclypse

Oct 18, 2001
just posted the same on the dt board, no spam intended, but maybe you could give me some hints:

[]
well, i have been thinking about digging up the good ol' bible again and actually read it from front to back, which i haven't done so far. but along the way, it might as well be interesting to get busy with some other religious movements as well, like bhuddism, satanism, paganism, whatever. i just feel i know next to nothing about all this.
question: any book recommendations to get started in one way or the other? nothing too fancy, since i'm no big fan of religions generally, i just want to get a wider point of view than the one i got right now (knowing a little about christian beliefs, very very little about muslim beliefs and nothing else).

hints much appreciated,

vc
[/]

My advice is quite the same as Ivo, but I think that if you will read from all these sources you might get pretty much confused because each contains different point of views, and some have many similarities...but if you insist on reading them be it an objective lecture, and don't beleive everything you read...this is confusing!:)

christian.gif

basically you'd know what to support, and what you shouldnt. it's obvious like. skip institutions.
it comes from the
heart.jpg

check them books by Christopher Knight & Robert Lomas, they've written some interesting stuff..

toolsofthetrade said:
basically you'd know what to support, and what you shouldnt. it's obvious like. skip institutions.
it comes from the
heart.jpg

check them books by Christopher Knight & Robert Lomas, they've written some interesting stuff..
It's quite spooky that you've posted that picture right now. Very spooky indeed...

There is some fiction in religion and some religion in fiction... but isn´t it just about hypocrisy most of the time. There is some interesting stuff in the new testament, because it deals with many things in a more adequate and modest way. Everytime when it comes to supernatural things it becomes very sick. If you interested in psychological topics you can learn very much about the basic fears of humanity by reading the old twisted stuff and what they were thinking of the world 2000 years ago, when superstittion was a part of religion and everyday life...

Part One of the sacred model:

Old Testament or when subconscious strikes again.

So much about practical advice of boys, muahahahaha... :Smug:

Why are you telling him not to believe in any shit he reads when he just wants to KNOW more about religions? If someone reads a novel that doesn't mean someone will believe in it.

OH MY GOOOOOOOD!!!!

heh, right, the point was to get an overview about a good deal of religions which doesn't mean i'll buy into one. as i said, i'm not quite fond of them, but i need some info to know what i'm talking about. and i won't probably read huge books like the qu'ran just to get this overview. i'll take the bible as an exception because i was raised in a catholic household and had some more contact with that one.
but if i read something about orders of assassins that doesn't mean i'm gonna be one :) i'm just interested.

I had the same situation once. I just wanted to find out more about all those things. There are religions about which everyone say it's BAAAAD but noone can tell you why or what it is about
mad0158.gif
. I was reading pretty much about black magic (and satanism) at that time and it took me very long to find a book where someone only tells the facts, without his/her opinion on it. A few months after there were a few people spreading roses in the city with some note on it. They were from Scientology and had a kind of presentation in a restaurant. I thought, ok, lets go and see it. I spend there around 2 hours, did that personality test and talked with them for quite a long time. I told them that I only want to find out more about them and their theories and it was ok for them. The theories seemed quite interesting and the idea of it was good. But of course I was sceptic too and kept the reality in my mind.. and before you start to shout I know that Scientology are not really nice in reality. I just wanted to find out more and so I did. Period!

I just think that you should be opened to any kind of religion and belief in terms of beeing ready to make your own opinion (and not just accepting what they tell you on tv). It makes it possible for you to understand and tolerate.

i cant believe what some of you actually said. let vultureculture READ! thats the only way people can LEARN. try to read topics from every view and from every subject. that way, you will get to develop your own opinion...not only on religion but on any topic in life.
LISTENING to third parties will get you nowhere, it's always better to learn for yourself.
if you want to know about islam, better read some interpretations of the Quran. i think they can be found in english. try to follow from a few sources. and the same goes for all other beliefs, religions and ideologies.

Strange discussion this, I read Emerson's essay "Self-reliance" a couple of weeks ago. I starts with quoting a poem that inspired him :p . And the whole idea of listening to someone telling you to rely on yourself :p .

It's only funny if you play mr. wordpicker and refuse to understand it though.