Are Opeth religious???

Well, I can put this in the same area as the "who's Melinda" question. It seems to come up every couple of weeks and it's tiring. I have been ignoring them, but this one was actually a different spin and I wanted to see what the person who started the post asked. It started out fine, but it seems is turning into another battle, and frankly I'm just tired of all the bullshit that spews from both sides. It's just repeated crap. If you want to see it all, just go back and look at the 50 or so old threads on this topic. Or better yet, got to a forum dedicated to religous debate. Do whatever the hell you want, but I'm sure many people feel that this subject on this forum needs to be given a long rest. I will respond no more because from the above posts, I see where this is headed...again. Take care.

TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT:

Mikael is NOT religious, and he thinks religion is stupid.

I read this in an interview, wrote him an email about it, and he replied and verified it. He is quite anti-relgion the way many of us here are.

He is very intelligent, so I think this goes without saying.

Satori

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Thats what i tell myself everytime i go out to the street or i go rehearsal im just tired of holy wars ( because if you are an extreme atheist and fight christianity you become part of they holy war too ). I wish everyone atheist and religion fanatics would sit down and talk for 10 years just to realize that both are victims of the same crime:making themselves believe. Religion its easy you make yourself believe in god because there is no other way around it. Extreme atheist and all atheist for all that matter also make themselves believe there is not a god. There is no way to prove it exist but there is not a way NOT to. None of the positions its correct ok? Science its as flawed and arrogant as religion, filled with pretencious people that want to be respected because of their intelligence, just like monk want to be respected for their wisdom, just like priest wants to be respected for his high standart moral. In the end comes to this: where do we come from? where are we going? what is dead?. Religious people find the easy way out in god. Atheist find the harder way out in science and if there is one thing science can prove is that science cannot be proven. It keeps evolving discovering things im shure in 1000 years we are gonna look back and laugh at our patetic theories of how life started. I do not understand why its easier for the human beign to believe blindly and put their trust to someone that its not even tangible, and i do not understand why they will try to uncover all the secrets of the universe just to know where we came from. Why cant this people stop having arguments why cant this people accept they do not have a damn clue...truly i must say ignorance is bliss
Wow! Nice post Misanthrope.
That seems spot on :)
I think I've projected myself the wrong way here. I'm really a "moderate", so to speak, atheist. I maybe overgeneralised a little regarding the intelligence of christians (and I still think that I'm generally right) and shouldn't have been so aggresive about it, but oh well :)

Originally posted by saturnix
I happen to be a Christian because I find it more logical than its alternatives.

More logical than the alternatives? Are you joking? You actually find christianity more "logical" than reality? Oh boy.

It has nothing to do with brainwashing: I'm very careful of mindfucks.

Evidently, not careful enough, as you have allowed yourself to become trapped by this obvious myth.

I have a strong feeling that you will someday overcome your religion however, you seem too smart to have been sucked into it in the first place. We'll see when your older if I'm right, until then, just please try to be honest with yourself and don't let your own fears/desires cloud your sense of reason.

best wishes,

Satori

Originally posted by Graschanejiro
I mean, I don´t think they are satanists (or hope not) because of the cross on "Still life"; someone has been buried and a loved one cries next to his grave. And I haven´t found anything anti-religious in thier lyrics, but I can be mistaken.
SO please answer.

//Grachanejiro

Well.. I'm 100% convinced that they are neither christians, nor satanists. They probably don't believe in any kind of god. That is for Mikael who writes the lyrics and stuff, I don't know about the other members. The inverted cross in their early logo was probably a way to show how "evil" they were as a band.. or how "evil" they wanted to be. There are lots of bands doing it out there :) The meaning of the Still Life concept is absolutely anti-christian (I don't know if such a word exists.. anyway :)). And I think the cross is used on the cover in a sarcastic way. The lyrics reveal how short-minded christian people are. Well, I can find another dozen of appropriate adjectives but I don't think it's needed. You got the point :) Just check out the lyrics on that specific album. I'm not such an old fan (I'm really new actually) so I won't say I KNOW that all this is true. But I've read some interviews, their lyrics, blah blah.. So, just a wild guess..

Originally posted by MountainDweller
Enough of this crap already. I'm tired of all this atheist vs. religion bullshit.

Then it would appear that you are posting in the wrong thread.

I hold the swellheaded, pretentious, extreme atheists and their psuedo-intellectualism as opposite equals to blind faith.

Then you are clearly not thinking straight. Your comparing science and logic to religion speak volumes about your level of understanding of such things, whether you think so or not. If you care to deny this, please do, it'll give me justification for clarifying further and it'll provide us with a great deal of entertainment in the process, hehe.

No, Opeth aren't particularly religious from what I've heard, but neither am I. So what? It doesn't mean we aren't spiritual in any way.

I agree. Spirituality can and does exist independent of religious nonsense.

ENOUGH OF THIS! NO MORE!

How about if I say I've had enough of people say they've had enough? While we're at it, let's make eating pig a sin punishable by death, on wait, it already is. hehhehe

Cheers,

Satori

Hehehe
you are very capable to defend your arguments satori. Other than personal satisfaction what could you gain if you know you are not gonna change anyones mind? ( even if you think you can lets suppose you cant )

Thats what i tell myself everytime i go out to the street or i go rehearsal im just tired of holy wars ( because if you are an extreme atheist and fight christianity you become part of they holy war too ).

Nonsense, and here's why: Anti-religious sorts are seeking to help others escape the trap of religion which has pervaded their minds like a disease. We want people to wake up to reality as it presents itself. We want to liberate them so that others cannot use their fears against them to do things like fly planes into buildings. This is not becoming part of a holy war, it's trying to get stupid people to wake up to the fact that holy wars are stupid.

I wish everyone atheist and religion fanatics would sit down and talk for 10 years just to realize that both are victims of the same crime:making themselves believe.

Bullshit. The atheist people aren't really atheist, they are agnostic and they have mis-labeled themselves, they have the good sense to admit that they don't know and the balls to adopt an opinion which makes sense to them.

Did I make myself believe the world is round? Did I make myself believe that viruses can kill me?

Being liberated from religion and seeing the all the horrible crap that religion has helped cause in this world is NOT a crime, if anything, it's commendable and honourable.

Religion its easy you make yourself believe in god because there is no other way around it.

It's only easy because they have their own fears/desires circumventing their logic. A religion without fear is not a very successful religion.

Extreme atheist and all atheist for all that matter also make themselves believe there is not a god.

I see. So, you "made yourself believe" that the moon isn't made of jello pudding?

One doesn't have to make oneself believe there is no god when one has never been presented with a good reason to think there is a god in the first place.

Atheism isn't about "belief", it's about LACK of belief in the innane, and there's a huge difference there.

Extreme atheist and all atheist for all that matter also make themselves believe there is not a god.

I just had to quote this a second time and say that it is one of the most silly things I've ever read here.

It seems that so many people are stuck on this "believe" idea. If someone happens to agree with evolution a religious person would say "Oh, you believe in evolution?" Someone asked my gf this not long ago, and it's just too lame to take seriously. Evolution or just accepting reality as it is isn't about "believing" in evolution or reality, it's about simply being honest with oneself and having an open and logical mind (which religious people clearly do not).

There is no way to prove it exist but there is not a way NOT to. None of the positions its correct ok?

We aren't talking about what's "correct", we are talking about what is most likely, logical, and practical. The correctness of a position can never truly be known, which is why we call ideas "theories".

Science its as flawed and arrogant as religion,

Oh boy, if you truly believe this then you clearly are not yet ready to be taking part in a discussion of this nature. Read, study, learn, think, and come back when you are more informed, this way, you won't be slammed quite as hard cuz you won't make such ridiculous statements. :)

I'm going to make a generalization here: anyone who equates scientific methodology with religious mythology is either uninformed or just plain dumb. Thank you.

filled with pretencious people that want to be respected because of their intelligence, just like monk want to be respected for their wisdom, just like priest wants to be respected for his high standart moral.

Exactly, scientists want to be respected cuz of their intelligence. We can respect a monk for his wisdom and a priest for his morality but we can't respect them for their intelligence because they are clearly lacking in that arena if they have brainwashed themselves to such a great extent.

In the end comes to this: where do we come from? where are we going? what is dead?. Religious people find the easy way out in god. Atheist find the harder way out in science and if there is one thing science can prove is that science cannot be proven. It keeps evolving discovering things im shure in 1000 years we are gonna look back and laugh at our patetic theories of how life started.

Exactly, which is what makes science so fucking amazing. It keeps questioning itself, keeps finding better answers, and for this reason, it is the only route to truth and understanding.

Btw, I don't think we'll look back and laugh at our theories of how life started, this is something that is pretty obvious to us now, so, we may refine the ideas, but laugh at them? I seriously doubt that.

I do not understand why its easier for the human beign to believe blindly and put their trust to someone that its not even tangible

Because they are either afriad or just too dumb to know any better.

and i do not understand why they will try to uncover all the secrets of the universe just to know where we came from.

Humans have a thrist for knowledge and technological advancement, it's part of who we are, and it's partly the reason why we've evolved so far so fast.

Why cant this people stop having arguments why cant this people accept they do not have a damn clue..

Because they do have a damn clue (scientists) and they can't just pretend that they don't, and other people have a thrist for knowledge which simply can't and won't go away. It's innate to being a human.

take care,

Satori

To restate something I find significant:

I'm going to make a generalization here: anyone who equates scientific methodology with religious mythology is either uninformed or just plain dumb.

Thank you.

Satori

you should make shure to remark for the most part....cause there are exeptions like everything in life

I would like to make a distinction here. There's is a difference between being intelligent (ie. good with numbers) and being deep (the ability to think outside the box).

I have never met a deep christian who has remained a christian after encountering me, after they've had their own personal reasons for believing exposed as nothing more than ideas built on illogical assumptions which they've held since childhood and never questioned.

There are lots of intelligent christians, though they are a minority, but not very many deep ones .

Satori

Lina-

I'm amazed people are bringing up the same points that have been stated on other threads a thousand times

Sorry, I haven't been here in quite awhile, as a direct result I have not seen the other 1000 times. Is that ok?

Your viewpoint has been stated many, many, many times on this board -- along with its rebuttal. You don't have to agree with the rebuttal, but I get the impression you haven't even read it.

Again, I have not been here in a long time, as when I do pop by I don't pick apart every thread. So as a result I probably haven't read any rebuttals by you or anyone else.

I hope you understand.

Black Dragon --

Yeah, I know. I know it can't be helped, so I shouldn't get so annoyed by it. But you can see how it WOULD be annoying for me to hear the same argument over and over that has already been addressed. But I shouldn't take it out on any one person because I know few people can spend as much time here as I do (i.e., other people have lives. :D ). That's the only downside about forums -- people come and go from conversations, and much has to be repeated. But that's not your fault. So I apologize for my bruskness.

FYI, this same thing is being debated in the "Satori will get a kick out of this" thread right now. But the response isn't as detailed as it's been in past threads, because it's being repeated. But still check it out if you're interested. But then again, it probably won't change your opinion, because there are several people who agree with you on this board. :loco:

No problem.

I have read the other thread. The only problem, and i stress only, that I have with any of it, is labeling every religious/christian/or whoever person as ignorant b/c of what they believe in or that they are ignorant b/c the choose to worship a deity.

I don't care to argue about it really. It just irritates me is all. I don't personally think that the theory of evolution provides a bulletproof story for the origins of mankind, however I don't think that anyone who believes in and follows evolution is "ignortant" or "brainwashed".

Agnostic? Atheist?

Well, Eris is the God for you!

Go here to know absolutely everything worth knowing about absolutely anything

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tilt/principia/

The Discordian take on reality is that there is no "reality" as most people understand it. "Reality" implies some kind of structure, some sort of guideposts. There are no guideposts, there is no structure. No bird, no song,and no cage. And there is no Goddess. So I guess this is all a waste of time. You might as well go home now.
--Mao Kung Pao

I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy. I am chaos. I am alive, and I tell you that you are free.

Mikael was asked in an interview about a recent rash of church burnings done by a group of young extreme metal musicians. He called them "a bunch of stupid teenagers" . I think this shows that he is not a "satanist". But then he almost certainly is not a "christian" either. Atheist or agnostic perhaps... :confused: