Are Opeth religious???

Graschanejiro

New Metal Member
Nov 21, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
Well, that´s my question. I´m a pretty new fan and I just wonder if they are religious or not. I have a little difficulty to "see" the lyrics so can anyone help me?
Would be glad.
I mean, I don´t think they are satanists (or hope not) because of the cross on "Still life"; someone has been buried and a loved one cries next to his grave. And I haven´t found anything anti-religious in thier lyrics, but I can be mistaken.
SO please answer.

//Grachanejiro

Oh absolutely, G (if I may call you G?)!

Opeth are satanists to the extreme; hence, the genre of 'extreme death metal' and the growling.

All of us drink goat's blood and hail the everlast Prince of Darkness (on special occasions only of course).

We are all anti-religion here and lovers of death, darkness, haters of mankind (misanthropes), who feed off the misery of existence.

We are united in evil, ours is a satanic music, and we are proud.

Hail!

honestly, i dont know the answer to your question.
i think things can be non-regligious, and yet very spiritual....and to me, opeth is definately that.....

now, why cant you "see" the lyrics? if you dont have a physical copy of the cd you better go buy it.....or else......

:heh:

they've expressed disdain for christians in interviews. i don't know their beliefs on god, per se, though. i would assume they're too smart for that. in fact, i'm pretty sure i've read that. but they're obviously not bent on persecuting christians, like many bands in the genre. and they obviously don't worship satan, because their music isn't about an image -- lo and behold it's actually about the music. :p

maybe someone could post a link to those long interviews.

They definantely aren't christians, their old logo had an inverted cross. And just because there's a cross on still life cover doesn't make them Christians, it's just a common gravestone. Even if you're a devout Christian, don't let Opeth not sharing in your beliefs turn you away from them, their songs have very little anti-christian references, it's all about the emotion for me.

Originally posted by Black Dragon

Don't take this an attack, but are you insinuating that if someone is religious or Christian that they lack intelligence as a result?
Yes.
Either that or completely brainwashed.

Originally posted by Ordeith
I regard everyone in Opeth to be pretty intelligent so no, they probably (hopefully) arn't religious/christian.

Well, I'm atheist but I wouldn't say everyone who believes in God is stupid. If that was the case, a great amount of the world's really good literature would be written by idiots - and that's definitely not true. And remember, it is a difference if you only believe in the christian god (or any other god) or if you are possessed by a religious madness.

uh, firstly, the "inverted cross" logo was used back in their early days, before they were Opeth as we knew, them, so that really doesn't count.

and no, i don't think that Opeth is especially religous, and certainly not Satanist, but I also think that they leave the door open for faith... of any kind. Look at the lyrics of Still Life.... the man is persecuted by the "council of the cross", but eventually, he seems to find forgiveness. In what? Who knows?

And Ordeith, that's a pretty serious accusation. I happen to be a Christian because I find it more logical than its alternatives. It has nothing to do with brainwashing: I'm very careful of mindfucks.

Ordeith,
When I read Black Dragon's question, I thought, "Yes." And then I scrolled down and saw you wrote just that. :lol:

I'm amazed people are bringing up the same points that have been stated on other threads a thousand times, and yet you all sound so proud, like you just thought of that. :err:

I happen to be a Christian because I find it more logical than its alternatives.
what the hell? okey dokey.

Originally posted by Xtokalon
Oh absolutely, G (if I may call you G?)!

Opeth are satanists to the extreme; hence, the genre of 'extreme death metal' and the growling.

All of us drink goat's blood and hail the everlast Prince of Darkness (on special occasions only of course).

We are all anti-religion here and lovers of death, darkness, haters of mankind (misanthropes), who feed off the misery of existence.

We are united in evil, ours is a satanic music, and we are proud.

Hail!

:lol: :devil: :lol:

Originally posted by Black Dragon

Using that kind of logic is just as bad as the die hard religious person that refuses to give any thought to alternative ideas.

both extreme perspectives seem to lack tolerance and insight IMO.
Fair enough.
I might be overgeneralising, though I see no reason why an intelligent person would believe something which flies in the face of modern science and reason. Now, I don't pretend to know everything, and I'm open to the possibility that there might be a god, I'm just fairly sure that it's not the god from the bible.
Until we know everything there will always be uncertaintes, but thats what they are, uncertainties. With the way science is progressing as of today the god of the bible is an uncertainty which will be completely eliminated soon, if he has not been already.

/ramble

Lastly, I think Lina summed up tolerance nicely (even though she is a bit more extreme) in some other post :)

Enough of this crap already. I'm tired of all this atheist vs. religion bullshit.

I hold the swellheaded, pretentious, extreme atheists and their psuedo-intellectualism as opposite equals to blind faith.

No, Opeth aren't particularly religious from what I've heard, but neither am I. So what? It doesn't mean we aren't spiritual in any way. ENOUGH OF THIS! NO MORE!

MountainDweller,
would you like to dictate which topics we can discuss? :err: shall we have another thread quelling your fears about moving? don't get me wrong -- i was interested in it, as obvious by the questions i asked you (which you didn't answer). but if you're not interested in this, just don't read it. i come here precisely so i can talk about that stuff, and i intend to continue doing so.

Ordeith,
I'm probably not as extreme as you think. :p I agree with everything you wrote about the possibility of a spirit world, essentially.

Black Dragon,
Your viewpoint has been stated many, many, many times on this board -- along with its rebuttal. You don't have to agree with the rebuttal, but I get the impression you haven't even read it.

Thats what i tell myself everytime i go out to the street or i go rehearsal im just tired of holy wars ( because if you are an extreme atheist and fight christianity you become part of they holy war too ). I wish everyone atheist and religion fanatics would sit down and talk for 10 years just to realize that both are victims of the same crime:making themselves believe. Religion its easy you make yourself believe in god because there is no other way around it. Extreme atheist and all atheist for all that matter also make themselves believe there is not a god. There is no way to prove it exist but there is not a way NOT to. None of the positions its correct ok? Science its as flawed and arrogant as religion, filled with pretencious people that want to be respected because of their intelligence, just like monk want to be respected for their wisdom, just like priest wants to be respected for his high standart moral. In the end comes to this: where do we come from? where are we going? what is dead?. Religious people find the easy way out in god. Atheist find the harder way out in science and if there is one thing science can prove is that science cannot be proven. It keeps evolving discovering things im shure in 1000 years we are gonna look back and laugh at our patetic theories of how life started. I do not understand why its easier for the human beign to believe blindly and put their trust to someone that its not even tangible, and i do not understand why they will try to uncover all the secrets of the universe just to know where we came from. Why cant this people stop having arguments why cant this people accept they do not have a damn clue...truly i must say ignorance is bliss