Serious Religious Undertones to Songs

RestlessGypsy

New Metal Member
Oct 20, 2009

I was recenty listening to some songs from Novella Reservoir and realized that the songs have alot of religious meaning behind them. So I checked so of the songs on INTO NIGHTS REQUIEM and found the same undertones. I think it is awesome. It makes me wonder what other songs from prior albums have undertones in the lyrics. It also makes me wonder if Paul is a religious man since he writes alot of these awesome lyrics.

Hmmm, well I'll let Paul take the reigns on this one since it's his lyrics and concepts. But speaking for the band as a whole I can say that we've never been pro, nor anti religion. When we use any kind of imagery of that sort in our artwork or lyrics I feel it's always been more symbolic than something intended to be taken literally and at face value. People have a tendency to want to draw instant conclusions or put labels on things, "well theres a cross on the cover so they must be a christian band" or "they have demons and hellish imagery so they are probably a satanic band" and that sort of thing. I can safely say that we are neither.

But for more in-depth answers regarding the lyrical subject matter I'll let Paul speak on that!

the vibe i got got from the lyrics on INRI (and i could be totaly wrong here) is a feeling of being betrade by religion.

just my $0.02

RestlessGypsy,

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the forum. You are correct, religious undertones are all over the lyrics. This is for story telling purposes, and not for preaching one way or another. When used it's usually to demonstrate internal struggle. Religion is a fascinating topic, regardless of a persons beliefs. Much like politics, we keep our personal beliefs private. You can certainly get a much deeper look into the lyrics and my thought process while writing them by checking out the book on our website "The Wayfaring Chronicles" and if you have an iPhone of iPod Touch, you can get "Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles" on the App store for only $2.99.

See, this is where Paul is brilliant! His lyrics can have many meanings, all in how you interpret the songs...what your mood is....like for me "A Eulogy for the Living Lost" to me says that maybe you should stay and fight your demons, instead of running from, and chasing after, yourself...and that the Living Lost is actually me, myself..does anyone else feel that way about the song? I dunno, but its how I hear it...not religous in any way, but I can see how it could be considered with some undertones ;)

Didn't Gene Simmons invent Satan when he fucked some weird groupie back in the seventies, with the evil lord coming out of it 9 months later?

I think the imagery works very well, and there's enough room for the listener to have their own interpretation of the lyrics, in terms of what the imagery conjures up to them. I like Paul's style because it's something that challenges you to think about what he's saying.

In that sense, it reminds me a little of a band called Tourniquet, who actually are Christian band but aren't a ram-it-down-your throat type of outfit, and are cool about playing on bills with satanic bands - their lyrics are mainly based on surgical / medical / kinda grisly lyrical themes which again, aren't immediately obvious, and can get the old grey matter ticking.

ya tourniquet is one of a very few chisten bands I actualy enjoy, Moth and rust being my fav song.

My own view on the whole religion thing is that i am very spieritual, but hate the hypocracies of organized religion.

good to see people agreeing with me :) i have always felt people should beleave what they want, not what people tell them to.

Agree with you guys completely about the difference between religion and being spiritual. There's a great quote from Bonnie Raitt about this - "Religion is for people who are scared of going to hell, spirituality is for people who've been there."

Agree with you guys completely about the difference between religion and being spiritual. There's a great quote from Bonnie Raitt about this - "Religion is for people who are scared of going to hell, spirituality is for people who've been there."

that is an amazing quote